Best Cheap Netbook?

OK my luvverlies, what's the Best Cheap Netbook?

I'm fed up with my kids dragging my MacBook around and want somethingthey can use without too much liability.

Any ideas?

Tesco were knocking out an E Machine one for £170 not long ago which was fairly well specced with a 10" screen.

That said, you can get web surfing 7" things for less than a ton these days - no good for burning dvds and what not, but good enough for MSN and Facebork.

Got the wife a Samsung NC10 about 3 weeks ago from amazon. seems to be working fine. The only frustration is getting software on it as it has not optical drive. I have to do it via my home network from another machine.

We have a family desktop, but it seldom sees any use these days (in fact its set up in the loft).
The printer is networked, I have portable DVD/CDRW drive and HDD and everyone uses a netbook, the wife has a Dell Mini 10 (which the battery is karked on after just 18 months), I have a Samsung N130 (but has lousy speakers) and the lad has an Acer something or other that is on semi permanent loan from school - all 10" screens and all work well enough for what we want ( I finished off a research paper on mine with no problems at all).

I tried to connect the note book to another PC with a cross over network cable but couldn't seem to get the 2 to talk to one another. Something i have tried in the past and had no joy with.
I belive it's called an ad-hoc connection but thats the one part of networking i have failed.

Rev-O said:
Presumably I could just connect it via USB to my MacBook and whizz stuff across to it?

Or not?

Not sure what "mixed marriage" USB networking is available - but presumably both would be attached to your wireless network, in which case you should be able to share that way easily (if Macs can talk SMB/SaMBa - which I think they can)

I love networking computer. I can spend hours and hours doing it and it still will not work. :D

Some times it is quicker to copy the install files to a usb pen drive and install from that. Windows and mac's can read FAT32.

Rev-O said:
Presumably I could just connect it via USB to my MacBook and whizz stuff across to it?

Or not?

Belkin do a cable that comes with software that lets you transfer stuff from computer to computer. Handy if you are buying a new comp.
Check out PC world.

Or save the £££ and look at <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/mac/2002/11/19/mac_pc.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/mac/200 ... ac_pc.html</a><!-- m --> since you have a Mac & PC that you would want to talk to each other :geek:

well if you are moving across to windows 7 and want files from Mac osx, latest version supports Exfat now (like fat32 works on both, but no 4gb file limit anymore) just use an external drive on exfat and move files over, easiest way.

Back
Top Bottom