'Best Before' dates and 'Vintage' fragrances - what gives?

So these days fragrances are often accompanied with a label proclaiming 'use with 12 months'.

Yet over at Basenotes etc. people constantly refer to 'vintage' fragrances.

So do fragrances 'go off', or at least change over time?

Fragrances do change, if not stored properly. Keep them in a cool and most of all dark place and they'll last a long time. I bought SWMBO a few bottles of her favourite perfume, no longer in production. I made sure the seller claimed they had been stored in darkness and SWMBO claims they smell just the ticket after 25 years or so. The bottles were NOS and still in their unopened boxes.

Heat and light ......... The two greatest enemies of your smellies. Some people even keep their fragrances in purpose built coolers. I still have a bottle or two of Paco Rabanne around here somewhere that have gone right off ........ Stuff of nightmares that, when it's turned ......... it's almost as nasty as Goya Cedarwood that's gone off; you really don't want that stuff near you :D

So these days fragrances are often accompanied with a label proclaiming 'use with 12 months'.

Yet over at Basenotes etc. people constantly refer to 'vintage' fragrances.

So do fragrances 'go off', or at least change over time?

Hi there,

Yep, frags can turn bad but using it within a year is a pretty darn quick timetable. I'd have to guess even average protected EdTs would be good for lots longer. Maybe not though.

Vintage scents are certainly more apt to have age damage of some kind....no idea of what per cent that might be of what's out there. Lots of old frags are in very good shape as well though and pretty much like new.

Fragrances definitely do change over time, and one common way is through reformulation....taking original ingredients out or adding something new or both. Now that's when you may get quite a range of what the same scent will smell like....by when it was made. Certain incarnations might have used something extra expensive or some kinda note being illegal to include now but not so in the old days. Some early versions can get pricey per ounce and may be worth the cash. Personally, I understand that sometimes the vintage juice is just better than the current offering. Paying over regular price for a hard to find older item.....I could see it depending on the bucks. I mean it is something that sticks around during the day. You want that scent to be the best of it's kind. Maybe not use it all the time, but have it just in case. Have a bunch.

Martin

The key is to store them properly. Don't leave them open in your bathroom or in direct sunlight.

I keep my fragrances in the bottom of my wardrobe, as this keeps the light out completely & the temperature doesn't change that much.

Back
Top Bottom