Begin Again.

I've recently been using a product from <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.begin-again.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">www.begin-again.co.uk</a><!-- w --> which they descibe as aftershave balm but it's more like a milk. It is very soothing and absorbs quickly, leaving no sticky residue. Only a little is needed.It comes unfragranced or in any one of about 300 fragrances which last. An added bonus is that shipping is free to the UK and Europe, £3.50 to the rest of the world. Also, enter BEGINAGAIN10 (enter as written) at checkout and get 10% discount. It's about £7.00 per throw.

Here's their ingredient list:

Ingredients: Purified water, isopropyl myristate (extract of nutmeg, palm oil,
or cocoa butter, which helps ingredients be absorbed into the skin while
preserving the ingredients by preventing the growth of bacteria),
dimethicone (skin protectant widely used in cosmetics),
glyceryl stearate (Softens the skin), shea butter, glycerin, vitamin E acetate,
chamomile, burdock, calendula, lemon peel, cranesbill,black walnut,
balm mint & sage extracts; menthol,
 magnesium aluminum silicate (an absorbent),
phenoxyethanol (a preservative antibacterial agent),
sodium cocoyl isethionate  (a skin cleanser derived from coconut oil), 
potassium sorbate, alcloxa, hydrolysed glycosaminoglycans, disodium EDTA

Not very 'natural' although I'm certain all their ingredients will be ECOCERT certified -- as if that says anything...

isopropyl myristate is NOT extracted from anything vegetable. The myristic acid may (although it is highly unlikely that it came from nutmeg (although this is implied, sort of, by its chemical name), most likely palm) be vegetable, but the isopropanol certainly isn't and the combination is chemical in any meaning of the word (note that ecocert can be applied to chemically created substances if all original constituents are initially 'green'). Plus AFAIK, it's not by any means bacteriostatic... DImethicone may be (and in fact is) 'widely used in cosmetics' but that doesn't make it any less of a synthetic silicone oil. Nothing wrong with that, but most certainly not 'natural'. Nor are phenoxyethanol or sodium cocoyl isethionate (only the cocoyl part derives from coconut oil), or 'hydrolysed glycosaminoglycans, or EDTA.

Not a very shocking ingredient list for an ASB (although I can think of 'better' formulae), but not particularly natural either.

Henk

That reminds me . . . must send sample pot to Henk.

Hmm . . . and PigCat could send some asb in to the clinic to prove his snip was a success.

(Actually, he'll know it was a success if his wife doesn't succeed.)

hando said:
Henk

apart from your own homemade balm what is the best brand name of a\s balm?

Apart from my own of course ;-)

I honestly wouldn't know. For years (more than 20 I guess), the only after shave I used (with Mach III, Philishave/Nivea electric wetshaver, and Braun electric shaver) was my trusted alum block. The only AS balm I have used is Nivea, and I really like it. My own ASB is in fact a try to emulate the skin feel, action and ingredients of Nivea ASB, with reasonable success. My ingredient list copies the major Nivea ingredients, while skipping most of the 'start dust'...

So I can't really help you.

Note that all ASBs are, by virtue of their recipes, nothing more than thin hand/face creams, with a few shaving-specific active ingredients, if at all, such as allantoin, bisabolol, and/or menthol.

quality of ASB is mainly due to quality of the emulsion -- and a lot of that comes down to personal preference.

Back
Top Bottom