Bath v Saracens

As a life long Saracens supporter (much to the displeasure of my Leicester Tigers supporting dad), I am routing for the Fez boys today.

Anyone else keen on rugby and the weird and wonderful way the Premiership season ends? The way I see it is that my beloved Sarries came 4th this year. I don't like the 'play off' to win.

I agree that it's a strange way to decid he winners - a league decided on a knock-out cup basis. It should be a good match and a chance to see Sam Burgess in action. I have a feeling that Stuart Lancaster will include him as a wild card in the World Cup squad.

Who do you root for when you want them both to lose? Especially Sarries but I want Bath thrashed!

The only way to stop this money spinning end to the season is to refuse to attend the knock-out games - and I don't see that happening anytime soon.

May Sarries lose by any margin but a large one would be good and may Bath get an utter, humiliating trashing - that was supposed to be 'thrashing' but getting trashed is good, too.

I have Bath to win if enough of their players can survive without getting broken bits from Sarries. Which makes Sarries favourite. But I don't care. I hope they both lose!

Despite the glorious win, I still maintain that we came 4th this year, and it should be that way. We simply didn't do well enough for the entire season to finish top. I know it's rugby, but it's just not cricket :)

Watching the other final in my league the Guinness Rabo Pro 12 Final congratultions to Glasgow they give Munster a good hiding in the final, they have been playing some great Rugby all season hat's off to their head coach Gregor Townsend.

nick_s said:
Despite the glorious win, I still maintain that we came 4th this year, and it should be that way. We simply didn't do well enough for the entire season to finish top. I know it's rugby, but it's just not cricket :)

But the case is that all teams knew the format and Sarries played it best. They knew that they did not to finish at the top of the table and cut their cloth accordingly. Instinct points to supporting your argument, but the logic is that finishing in the top four is the way it works and then it is the small matter of winning two games.

You could also say that the league and knock-out system of the World Cup could be similarly criticised.

How far have Sarries come since the Southgate days? I would say that both Worcester and Exeter have travelled the same path, but not quite to the same extent. If Exeter continue their trajectory then they could be in the same league.

jds said:
You could also say that the league and knock-out system of the World Cup could be similarly criticised.

Note quite Jon - in that the cup competition is arranged in groups and not all teams get to play each other. To my mind, in the Rugby Premiership, having played all other teams twice, the team with most points should be the winners. Admittedly, the rules are well established and I suppose it does help to make up for any disadvantage of losing players for international duty at times.

UKRob said:
jds said:

Note quite Jon - in that the cup competition is arranged in groups and not all teams get to play each other. To my mind, in the Rugby Premiership, having played all other teams twice, the team with most points should be the winners. Admittedly, the rules are well established and I suppose it does help to make up for any disadvantage of losing players for international duty at times.

I can't disagree... but I was trying to make the point that a team who win all their pool games, outscoring all the other Pool winners have only completed the preliminary and have not won anything yet. The Premiership is the same in that main season decides who enters the knock out section and has earned the right to play for the final crown. I don't like it, but it is what it is and is here to stay.

jds said:
UKRob said:
jds said:

I can't disagree... but I was trying to make the point that a team who win all their pool games, outscoring all the other Pool winners have only completed the preliminary and have not won anything yet. The Premiership is the same in that main season decides who enters the knock out section and has earned the right to play for the final crown. I don't like it, but it is what it is and is here to stay.

Can't fault the logic there in the comparison :)

Back
Top Bottom