Baseball fans.....or anyone

I wouldn't mind seeing an ice hockey game.

Hockey season started last week in Chicago after ending with a Chicago Finals win in June. It was a big deal because winning the Cup is a real long and tough road to travel. Seriously it's a bitch.

Started going to Hawks games in the early 60s and saw some great hockey played over the years. Only 6 teams back then so teams got to see the other guys pretty often.....heh. Talk about some strong players.

Jeeez, I wonder if many Limeys even learn to ice skate. Not easy finding outside places to freeze over.....hmmm.

Martin

After seeing the spectactors wrapped up it's worth remembering that unlike cricket baseball is played throughout the seasons so although the weather conditions have some effect they are not as a decisive an influence. A pitcher throwing a curve ball can do it in all weathers, it'll curve a little more in colder denser air and it'll fly a little further and faster in warmer air but that's about it whereas your typical swing bowler relies on ball and weather conditions to be most effective.

Last edited:
I didn't know that - assumed it was a summer game. I went to a couple of games in Detroit a few years back - great atmosphere in the ground and didn't expect to see drinks sellers making their rounds and being served in your seat. Full time toilet attendants as well - so even though the ground was showing its age, the toilets were fresh and clean.

Hiya,

Baseball starts first week in April with snow still in the forecast or even on the ground. Easy to get tickets though, except it can be cold as hell. Opening Day is sold out but plenty of seats after that till the weather gets nicer. Last possible World Series game would be played Oct 31st I think. Yeah, a really long season even without the playoffs.

Wind has some major roles in Chicago, with one being how it affects the way Wrigley Field plays. Another is lake perch fishing related, with certain winds being good and others crap. It's true, the wrong wind is blowing there's no sense going to the lake. Oh yeah, this is a Lake Michigan thing that I grew up with. Seriously.

So in the early months the wind at Wrigley tends to blow in towards the batter, making it more of a pitchers friendly park. This is a colder wind too, which takes a little pop from the ball somehow.

Now in the warm summer months you can get lovely south or southwest winds and those have the flags blowing out into homerland seating and beyond. At Wrigley the ball can be hit out of the Park and onto either Waveland or Sheffield Avenue, which is a regular neighborhood street. Heh, even in the summer you get a strong north wind/overcast day going and you will need a coat for sure.

Hell, I bet that perch anecdote has been heard a hundred times here.

Martin

Game One of the World Series is on now and a Helluva game it is!!! More action than a battalion of drunk Marines in an Asian whorehouse!! This is going to be a great series!!!

Update: 12 innings!! This game is a war down in the trenches!! Holy cow!!! :eek:

Last edited:
Game One of the World Series is on now and a Helluva game it is!!! More action than a battalion of drunk Marines in an Asian whorehouse!! This is going to be a great series!!!

Update: 12 innings!! This game is a war down in the trenches!! Holy cow!!! :eek:

It doesn't matter now as the Blue Jays are out. But let's hope the Maple Leafs (Maple Laughs would be more appropriate) do just as well this season.

Hiya,

Man it's sad, but I didn't really care who won the Series this year. After the Cubs were swept earlier in 4 games I kinda lost interest......heh. Had the Cubs won the whole thing it woulda been worth some cash to me but didn't pan out. Still, they were fun to watch this year and got farther along than anyone expected. I may even go to a game next season.

Glad some of y'all enjoyed the action this year,

Martin

Back
Top Bottom