A'right?

Lev

A'right? So, I've been lurking for a while, sneakily gathering tips and tricks and reviews and buying advice, and it struck me that I'd never shown any gratitude for the help I've received from the forum. How rude! I don't think there's much more to say than, well, thanks. Thanks for the hand holding over the last 6 months, even if you didn't know it. The advice has guided me through some tricky decisions and has no doubt saved me hours of razor burn and lots of little nicks.

I've been DE shaving for around 6-8 months now, with an Edwin Jagger DE89 and Feather blades (I started with the freebie Derby blades but they were a bit poor in my estimation), since then I've added an Edwin Jagger Best Badger brush and some TOBS cream. It was/is a fairly decent experience overall, but the EJ DE89 I find very mild for my thick facial hair and, no matter what angle or technique I used, I don't feel I get a very efficient shave. So, with that in mind, I've ordered a Merkur 37c in the hope that it's not R41 level of aggressiveness, but not as mild as the DE89. Along with some EJ Aloe Vera cream (for the learning curve of the slant) it'll be coming tomorrow.

Hi and welcome to TSR.

The first time I tried 37c I didn't get on with it. However I tried again recently and just used it WTG and it was so effective.

Uncle Bertie said:
Hi and welcome to TSR.

The first time I tried 37c I didn't get on with it. However I tried again recently and just used it WTG and it was so effective.
Prius111 said:
Hello,welcome to: " the shaving room ". Relax & Enjoy.

Thanks, fellas.

pjgh said:
Welcome aboard ... at last!

Enjoy the slant - light touch and DON'T look at the razor because it will mess with your mind. Go by feel and simply draw the handle down your face.

Haha! Yeah, even the pictures mess with my mind a bit. I've seen the video on here by a member (Dubster?) about putting the blade in the right way so it's even, plus I've watched quite a few videos on it. I'm quite confident that I'll be ok with it. If not, screw it; I'll have a great excuse to get the R41. I've got the bug.

Welcome to TSR.

Both the EJ and the 37c are great razors. The EJ is very mild with any blade I've tried so far but I've found I get the closest shave with Polsilvers, they last for ages as well and no nick or weepers. The lab blues I also find to be cracking blades and for around £8 for 100 delivered from the US an absolute bargain.

The 37c is a fantastic little razor and no way near as daunting as it looks as long as you focus on good technique and don't apply pressure. I find the 37c can tug a little around my jaw line with 'duller' blades (I have a very thick beard) but like an hot knife through butter with a lab blue or polsilver (not tried a feather yet but I'd expect good things). As always YMMV but you've got a couple of cracking razors there and I'm sure you'll get great shaves with the 37c as well as the EJ.

I'm now feeling very enabled and I'm off to have a shave with my 37c :)

Thanks for the welcome. I went ahead and ordered both the 37c and the R41. I like them both. Actually, I flippin' love the R41. I've only given the slant one quick shave, so I will revisit that. I have also got some polsilver SI and some Astra Superior Platinum on the way. At the moment, I can't seem to grow hair fast enough.

Back
Top Bottom