Apollo Super Sharp Vintage Blades

I enjoy a sharp blade, so when I saw these at a hefty £4.90 for ten, I was looking forward to something at least as good as a Feather. Unfortunately I was destined for a rendez-vous with disappointment.

The Packaging
This, I liked. Nice old-fashioned cardboard box, with beautiful graphics. Individual blades are presented in a lovely paper wrapper....

[attachment=2]

The blade itself comes in a greaseproof inner wrapper....

[attachment=1]

It is described as 'blue carbon steel', and I presume that is the band of colouring we see in the centre of the blade.

The Shave
I always 'go easy' when trying a new blade, and in this case it was as well that I did. Sharp, but with a heavy drag, and an audible rasping sound with each stroke. Nothing Feather-like about this. In fact, it rather reminded me of my early, unsatisfactory experiments with Merkur blades. I abandoned the mission after two careful passes and achieved what can only be described as a mediocre shave. No bleeding, admittedly, but I was left with an unpleasant bruised feeling. I'm always prepared to give a blade a second chance - in my experience a blade will often perform better on the second, or even the third outing - so I rinsed the razor and put it away to use another day. On return, this is what I found:

The Horror!

[attachment=0]

The blade was heavily rusted. To my disgust, a lot of the gunk had found it's way onto the razor itself (in this case a Mergress), but I'm pleased to say I managed to remove that without too much difficulty. Needless to say, the blade didn't get that second outing.

In fairness, the blades are described by the vendor as 'vintage', and perhaps that's exactly what they are - collector's pieces, rather than blades intended for actual use. Dunno. But I won't be giving them a second go myself.

Attachments

• Apollo-OuterWrapper.jpg
    360 bytes · Views: 277
  • ApolloBlade.jpg
  • ApolloRust.jpg
Recieved wisdom is never to shave with vintage blades but you clearly had the spheroids to do so! - well done Sir!
I have shaved with modern uncoated blades and found them quite serviceable, assuming that one shaves lightly with a good lather and dries the blade afterwards.
As these are clearly uncoated hand-stropping might help?
I must admit that my curiosity is piqued - If you truly cannot get on with these blades perhaps you could consider a trade?

I'm ever so grateful you took one for the team F/Max, I had also seen these & wondered about them. The high cost (suppose I had liked them) & the bother of drying, possibly dipping in surgical spirit, after each shave also kinda put me off. The Astra Keramics & the Feather are looking even better now !

JohnnyO. :shave

Alan was good enough to send me some of these blades and I took them round to a friend of mine who is something of an antiquarian and he declared that they were from the 1930's at the very least.
I have tried modern uncoated carbons so I was quite keen to try these and so with one loaded into my mildest (SS '47) and a face armoured with Sharon's celebrated face-kevlar I had at it.
The first pass was rough - pulling, skipping and rasping.
However things began to improve after that and I finished a pleasant three pass shave wth DFS, not having even contemplated BBS.
The face? - I do admit to a mild "bracing" of the skin but I have not applied any balm because I want to see how long it lasts [Edit - just less than half an hour] (and because i'm 'ard)
The blade is now dried and back in its wrapper - I think I will try it in a HD next time.
The difference between Alan's experience and mine I attribute to my having given the blade a 10-stroke hand stopping beforehand - these blades can be stropped with advantage because they are uncoated. (But also rust like hell if you don't dry them after use!)
I intend shortly to advertise on BST to see if anyone had one of those rubber-mounted twirly blade stroppers that DE shavers sometimes buy as a curio to keep in their shave dens - and ask if I can borrow it and put it to work!
Hoping to have provided some amusement.......

I like these blades!

They have to be treated with respect though, they are fearsomely (is that a word?) sharp! although granted not as sharp as a feather.

There do seem to be quite a few of these around still.

Back
Top Bottom