Anyone keep hens?

We'd been struggling with the feeder ours had as young chicks and as pullets. The feeder was too low to the ground so any scratching around would cover their food with dirt. We recently got a feeder which stands on some legs and has a large cover, which works wonders as one of the places they'd get at dusk was on top of the feeder and would often poo without thinking those beneath.

PC: Hope your wife enoys the weekend away, are the Light Sussex good layers compared to the Warrens?

eneville said:
We'd been struggling with the feeder ours had as young chicks and as pullets. The feeder was too low to the ground so any scratching around would cover their food with dirt. We recently got a feeder which stands on some legs and has a large cover, which works wonders as one of the places they'd get at dusk was on top of the feeder and would often poo without thinking those beneath.

PC: Hope your wife enoys the weekend away, are the Light Sussex good layers compared to the Warrens?

I'll post a quick pic of my setup for you. Might help. Light Sussex are supposed to be about the best layers, though you mustn't go for the pure-breed. A cross is better. Not sure exactly what that means, but apparently that's the case.

eneville said:
Has anyone had a double *yolker?

* must have been laid by a hen they kept

Yes we had one a couple of weeks ago. I have heard they are most commonly laid by younger hens, usually some of the first ones they lay. Most of our eggs get eaten boiled with soldiers by my older son - not sure how easy it is to spot them then. The one we spotted was scrambled.

Sorry no pic of feeder yet, will sort one out next week.

Adam D said:
My sister keeps them.

Check out page 122 of the November edition of the Gardeners World magazine for a photo of where they live! My Mum has sent in a photo :)

Went to the library to browse their magazines, they had Gardeners World, but only July and August. No sign of anything later than that.

Will have to get to Maidenhead town centre to have a look in the newsages... Also need to get some logs for the stove as weather is getting a bit rubbish and that means delivery of logs has to be carefully planned for a dryish day (assuming they've been seasoned somewhere dry first).

Back
Top Bottom