Anybody on here do home brewing?

Hi there, Im new here and only just signed up to this forum today. I do a bit of home brewing on and off (kits only) and if anyone is still looking at a good Belgium beer to try I can heartliy recomment the Brewferm range of Belgians, very good, tasty and strong beers, but they do need a few months to 'mature' in storage.

Stew

Last edited:
Hi there, Im new here and only just signed up to this forum today. I do a bit of home brewing on and off (kits only) and if anyone is still looking at a good Belgium beer to try I can heartliy recomment the Breferm range of Belgians, very good, tasty and strong beers, but they do need a few months to 'mature' in storage.

Stew
I've done a couple of 'wines' including Wurzel's orange wine and a 'rosé' using shop-bought fruit juice. I've a number of demijohns and have been meaning to get back into it. :) Thanks for the recommendation!

On an aside, welcome to The Shaving Room! I'm enjoying myself in my pioneering months of Straight Razor shaving. Some very knowledgeable, decent chaps on here! Ask anything, there are no stupid questions here.

Hi there, Im new here and only just signed up to this forum today. I do a bit of home brewing on and off (kits only) and if anyone is still looking at a good Belgium beer to try I can heartliy recomment the Breferm range of Belgians, very good, tasty and strong beers, but they do need a few months to 'mature' in storage.

Stew
Hi Stew, I used to really be in to home brew and always had four kegs on the go at any one time, it was like a micro brewery ! The only problem with so much strong beer stout and cider on tap for me was I got a real liking for drinking it.....it ended up at around ten pints a night.....this is when I knew I had a problem with it and had to knock it on the head. I hardly drink at all now but I did find it a very enjoyable hobby while it lasted. :)

I do both homemade country wine out of blackberries and elderberry and a load of different beers from grains. I initially started with beer kits but moved on to all grain beer. I never looked back after going all grain.

I need to ask this question: how many of you treat your water by doing more than removing chlorine? Do you treat for alkalinity, or calcium? Do you use bottled water? I got my kit today and looking at a home-brew forum has got me wondering if this is going to be too complicated.

I need to ask this question: how many of you treat your water by doing more than removing chlorine? Do you treat for alkalinity, or calcium? Do you use bottled water? I got my kit today and looking at a home-brew forum has got me wondering if this is going to be too complicated.
You can make respectable beer just sterilising the water. If you want to be really technical, you can, but most people don't concern themselves with it too much. Different 'flavours' of tap water, from different places, can result in marginally different tasting beer. If you're drinking it for fun/socially etc., there's probably no issue.

You can make respectable beer just sterilising the water. If you want to be really technical, you can, but most people don't concern themselves with it too much. Different 'flavours' of tap water, from different places, can result in marginally different tasting beer. If you're drinking it for fun/socially etc., there's probably no issue.
Stupid question, but, how do you sterilize the water?

When I did 'wines' I used boiled and cooled water. Gets rid of any microbial baddies. Apologies, didn't make that clear - sterilise your equipment. :) You don't want to sterilise your yeast so make sure the water used is cool enough and there isn't any residual sterilising solution in the demijohns/bottle/bucket etc.! Below is sterilising equipment for cleaning your glass/plasticware.

http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Sterilising_and_Other_Cleaning_Agents.html

Edit: Boil the water in the kettle or on the stove top, cover and leave cool.

Having been brewing for a number of years and started off with kits I never treated my water and used plain tap water. Water treatment is an overkill with kits.

I only treat water for all grain brewing. If u feel that u need to treat water ad your tap water is that bad get some bottled water from tesco etc.

You can find out the quality of your water from your local water board website.

Thanks. I think I'm ready to go as soon as I get a belt heater for my fermentation tank. My garage temp is below the recommended 18-24 degree range.
Yep, you'll need some decent heating at this time of year. I prefer to use the submersible heaters (like fish tank heaters) that go inside the tank. I found the belts seem to only heat the outside of the tank.

Like this one
electrim-heater-thermostat-1002-p.jpg

Yep, you'll need some decent heating at this time of year. I prefer to use the submersible heaters (like fish tank heaters) that go inside the tank. I found the belts seem to only heat the outside of the tank.

Like this one
electrim-heater-thermostat-1002-p.jpg
How do they fit in the fermentation tank? I have a tank by Young, and it has a small hole and a gamut for inserting the fermentation indicator.

How do they fit in the fermentation tank? I have a tank by Young, and it has a small hole and a gamut for inserting the fermentation indicator.
This type of heater would require a hole wide enough to pass the diameter of the glass tube and the cable is usually passed through a bung which can hold an airlock. It might require making a wider hole in your lid to accommodate it. You must have some kind of hole in the lid (preferably fitted with an airlock) to vent the CO2 when fermenting.
In the past when I've used a simpler tank, basically a large plastic bucket with a lid, I just placed the lid loosely over the cable.

IMAG2129.jpg I've been wine making since I was fifteen, did a fair bit of home brewing (full mash) but not recently as I appear to have become wheat intolerant. Big on cider making! But that's part of my retirement plan. I have planted around 120+ apple trees, all cider and juice varieties. We have about 750 lts ageing out in the cider shed as I write this.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom