Any suggestions for nice ballpoint pens?

I have seen some nice wood turned fountain pens, I don't really get along with fountain pens and prefer Parker style refills.
Any suggestions for a nicely turned wooden or even resin ballpoint that takes the Parker refill?

There are some reasonable-looking ballpoints at Cult Pens, Write Here and The Writing Desk. Names include Faber and Lamy (who offer wooden pens), plus, as noted, some really expensive resin articles from Montblanc and other top-end makers. The prices of some of these are equal to, or more than I would expect to pay for a Scribo or Santini fountain pen with a 14k or 18k gold nib.

There are also several small "artisan" makers, like The Wood Hut, who will produce pens to order. Some of these also make wooden brush handles.

I don't think you'll have too much trouble finding a wooden pen, but as far as I can make out, what you get will largely depend on your budget.

The only wooden pens I own are those penholders for calligraphy nibs, which don't get a lot of hard use and aren't carried around in my pocket. If wooden pencils etc. are anything to go by, I would suppose that any wooden ballpoint that's going to get a lot of use needs to be strongly and substantially built, to avoid breakages, and the Lamy 2000 yew or blackwood models look good for that. I have a 2000 fountain pen, and the shape is just right.

Thought you were kidding. Now I realize I need a Gillette Fatboy themed pen, thanks.
It surprised me when I saw it but seems a great idea.
There are Yookers Metis and Elios which have that grid-like grip.
I am not too keen on the silver-black colour theme, though, as it makes me think "disco tiles", and not really in a good way. They're also felt-tip pens (though from what I'd read and watched, pretty decent).

Faber-Castel Grip series looks kind of like Tatara's handles (or Global knives').

EDIT: Maybe the "Chrome Fisher Space Pen Shuttle Grid Black Grid Ballpoint Pen" is a bit nicer than the Yookers.

Last edited:
Hmm, I’ll not hold my breath for a Gillette Aristocrat pen in rhodium plated brass but oh, how lovely that would be with a fountain nib and Diamine ink.

Where’s me old Parker, Matron? Thanks Oops, I’m for it now - she thought I called her an ‘old nosey Parker’. Truth hurts I guess. NOO, not the flensing knife Matron! It’s rusty and anyway, I was bled yesterday and have no more to give.

Psst, I think she drinks it. Honestly, ruddy woman’s a menace…

Back
Top Bottom