Any Straight Razor enthusiasts in norfolk

Hi all. Hope someone in Norfolk can help. Recently bought a nice dovo straight razor and had a couple of decent shaves from it, all until I stropped it for the first time when I somehow bluned. Followed all instructions from internet as well. I think it needs be rehoned. I would really like to meet someone who could actually show me how I can do this myself so I don't need to send it away once or twice a year at a cost.
Hope someone can help.

Hi

I can't help you ( although I am in Norfolk) but if you don't get any luck here, maybe post it in the "straight razor" section too!

Good luck

Welcome to the forum, there are several very skilled people on here who can hone your razor. I realise you are wishing to learn how to do this for yourself, however. My 2p worth, if you destroyed the edge in a single stropping attempt, this leads me to believe that you're probably new to straight razors.
In short you would be learning to shave with a straight, strop a razor and hone a razor
all 3 are separate skills on their own - takes time and practise. Sadly learning to hone before learning the other 2 will be counter productive (you would be questioning 1 or all 3 of your skills when things are not going right)
until such times as you have become comfortable with shaving/stropping - send your razors away to be honed!

Pete, I'll reiterate what's been said already. It's hard enough just leaning to shave with a straight and to strop too. Throw in honing and it's a very steep learning curve let alone the expense of buying hones too.

There are plenty of good honemeisters on here who could get your razor shave ready for not too much. UKRob and Celticcrusader (Jamie) to name a few. This will at least give you a good baseline of what shave ready is.

Greetings Pete

Although I too live in Norfolk I am a novice myself to straight razor shaving and the worst type of person to learn any skill from is a novice, it has taken me three or four months to learn how to strop really well, I used way too much pressure for months and only got mediocre results, suddenly it fell into place.

Best to get it honed and stropped by somebody really good and then shave with it first before doing anything at all to the razor, that way you will have a bit of a yardstick to go by. To start with you will always think this razor is not sharp, even if it is perfect, you must not make comparisons with razor blades.

Regards
Dick.

Back
Top Bottom