Another MdC Perspective

Price: Ouch!

Presentation: Nice! Purchased from MdC direct. Arrived with a personalized note and a Fougere soap bar sample.

The jar is heavy thick glass and beautiful. The stickers are well placed/centered. Inside the jar they put protective styrofoam, which is good when shipped long distances. Lifting it off you see the large circumference of the cream and it looks glorious.

Latherability: Less than 4 swirls with my badger and it exploded with lather, so I stopped. It was enough to last me three passes. I found the soap to be neither thirsty or too soft. Just right.

Performance: Brilliant. Magical. All the stuff you guys said before. Easily protected my skin from the blade and had plenty of slip. Didn't dry quick. My face is very soft and supple after, I would say it's not necessarily moisturizers, but felt healthy.

Overall: Definitely a great soap. No doubt about it. The price would make me buy it once, and since it lasts for a while I would enjoy it. But doubt would buy it a second time. There are so many soaps out there to be faithfully married to this one IMO.

Scent: Notice I left this until after, because it's quite subjective really. When I opened the jar first thing I thought of was: ice cream! The smell of ice cream when still in the fridge. Later I got herbal notes of Lavender and greens. I prefer clean, non-herbal scents so I would imagine this would be a nice change once in a while but not a favorite.

[attachment=10150]

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397222682.166713.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397222682.166713.jpg
    298.8 KB · Views: 59
ffarouki said:

Presentation: Nice! Purchased from MdC direct. Arrived with a personalized note and a Fougere soap bar sample.

The jar is heavy thick glass and beautiful. The stickers are well placed/centered. Inside the jar they put protective styrofoam, which is good when shipped long distances. Lifting it off you see the large circumference of the cream and it looks glorious.

Latherability: Less than 4 swirls with my badger and it exploded with lather, so I stopped. It was enough to last me three passes. I found the soap to be neither thirsty or too soft. Just right.

Performance: Brilliant. Magical. All the stuff you guys said before. Easily protected my skin from the blade and had plenty of slip. Didn't dry quick. My face is very soft and supple after, I would say it's not necessarily moisturizers, but felt healthy.

Overall: Definitely a great soap. No doubt about it. The price would make me buy it once, and since it lasts for a while I would enjoy it. But doubt would buy it a second time. There are so many soaps out there to be faithfully married to this one IMO.

Scent: Notice I left this until after, because it's quite subjective really. When I opened the jar first thing I thought of was: ice cream! The smell of ice cream when still in the fridge. Later I got herbal notes of Lavender and greens. I prefer clean, non-herbal scents so I would imagine this would be a nice change once in a while but not a favorite.

An excellent, informative report! Thanks. Why not place a version in the 'Review' section of the board?

ffarouki said:

Thanks for the detailed review! What other soaps have you used that you can draw comparisons with?

Reevers said:
ffarouki said:

Thanks for the detailed review! What other soaps have you used that you can draw comparisons with?

I currently have:

T&H 1805
T&H Rose
Proraso white and red
MWF
Le Pere Lucien
L'Occitane Cade
Tabac

I would say it lathers, performs and protects better than ALL of them. Scent and price, at least to me, is its' chinks in the armor.

M de C was one of those soaps I couldn't resist. It is excellent. Makes a nice one off treat/gift. But like most top end products you pay a very high price for a tiny improvement in quality.

Agree. I have a small chunk from a friend and I didnt found it significantly better to MWF (only in latherability maybe) and it is much more expensive. I consider that there es a lot of hype with it...

Cheers

ffarouki said:
I currently have:

T&H 1805
T&H Rose
Proraso white and red
MWF
Le Pere Lucien
L'Occitane Cade
Tabac

I would say it lathers, performs and protects better than ALL of them. Scent and price, at least to me, is its' chinks in the armor.

That's some respectable competition that MdC has beaten for you!

Thanks

Reevers said:
ffarouki said:
I currently have:

T&H 1805
T&H Rose
Proraso white and red
MWF
Le Pere Lucien
L'Occitane Cade
Tabac

That's some respectable competition that MdC has beaten for you!

Thanks

It would've only been a 'win' if I had liked the smell more. Can't say the price is a deal breaker, but surely wanted the scent to make me look forward more to using it.

Fido said:
M de C was one of those soaps I couldn't resist. It is excellent. Makes a nice one off treat/gift. But like most top end products you pay a very high price for a tiny improvement in quality.

Peter, I'd be interested in which soaps you consider come very close.

Sir_eider said:
Agree. I have a small chunk from a friend and I didnt found it significantly better to MWF (only in latherability maybe) and it is much more expensive. I consider that there es a lot of hype with it...

Cheers
It does cost much more than MWF - although in my opinion there is no comparison - but when you consider just how long a jar lasts is it really expensive? It's very difficult to even guess how many shaves it will be good for but let's say a price of a few pence/cents per shave is not expensive compared to say a good bottle of wine that will be gone in an hour.

As to hype - the manufacturer is very low key in promoting it therefore any hype is coming from users and that speaks for itself.

I agree with UKRob about the price perspective. If it does in fact last as much as people say it does, then in the long run it's efficient.

I need to try the Fougere. They sent me a complimentary Fougere bar but I have a feeling it must be very different from the shaving soap.

I tried the 'regular' MdC and also didn't care much for the scent, too pungent and not very pleasant to my nose, although the performance was ace. I now use the unscented and like it a lot. It's not really scent-free, more like a very muted version of the regular soap, very subtle and enjoyable.

ffarouki said:
I need to try the Fougere. They sent me a complimentary Fougere bar but I have a feeling it must be very different from the shaving soap.

Yes, it's a shower/bath soap - I use it a a daily face soap with excellent results. It's just a pity that the MdeC products are only available from France as it makes postage costly.

I was very sceptical for a long time about the soap and resisted for a far while , but managed to buy a small sample from here , and it is by far the best soap I've ever used and I think it may actaully be quite cheap in the long run , as a couple of whisks produces so so much lather !

Back
Top Bottom