Alum block Vs Shaveworks The Cool Fix

well as the title suggests this is what im wondering. i got a bottle of the cool fix as a freebie when i bought my shavette and have found that using just a tiny amount post shave after a cold water splash and towel dry before moisurising works wonders. i dont know if anyone is familiar with the product, but its aimed at preventing ingrown hairs, razor burn, razor bumps, is antiseptic, and appears to have an astringent effect also, maybe in conjunction with the cold water but im not sure. the only problem is that it is a devil to get hold of. (yes i am a fan of it i will admit)

im wondering if the alum blocks serve a similar or identical purpose, as they do seem simpler to get hold of and arent as expensive. but are they suitable for use every time you shave. ill admit my unfamiliarity with the blocks and their use and any info i can find seems to be a part of an advert (so will naturally be biased).

thanks for any help

Very interesting.

I don't use Alum as my skin seems to react badly to it, so will keep my eye out for this.

Thanks.

Cool Avatar Pic, BTW. Demotivator?

Tend Skin from Mankind sounds like the same thing, it's to prevent ingrowns, reduce redness etc, stings a little when you put it on (but I'm tough I can handle it) makes my skin feel great and it's cleared up my neck a treat, use on dry skin after shave/wash. Comes in a 118ml bottle, ingredients are: Isopropyl Alcohol, Butylene, Glycol, Acetylsalicylic Acid, Cyclomethicone, Glycerin, Diglycerin and Polysorbate 80. Nice!

Julese34,

Yeah, it is a demotivator. I stumbled on it during one of my midnight internet safaris.

Here is a link for The Cool Fix online, havent seen it in any shops though. Also havent used these people so sadly I can't vouch for them

http://www.brummellsoflondon.com/Brands/Contemporary-Collection/Shaveworks/Ingrown-Hairs/b1607/sc1440/p952.aspx?gclid=CI3bmuSgyK8CFYpjfAod_G5YcA

Tackleberry,

Yeah the Tend Skin is pretty much identical by the sounds of it. The ingredients arent too different either I believe, but the effect is the same. Including the stinging that caught me off guard the first time resulting in an interesting if nothing else selection of facial expressions and sounds in front of the mirror. Do you know off hand is the Skin Tend an online only job aswell, or can i get in a real shop??

ironmonkey said:
im wondering if the alum blocks serve a similar or identical purpose

Alum is an astringent, it closes tiny nicks, kills bacteria and tightens the skin a little. Not much else. I use it as a deodorant and also as a standby for the odd tiny cut. (It won't do big cuts).
I think it probably wouldn't be an ideal stand in for your current product, but it's at least cheap enough to try.

ironmonkey said:
Julese34,

Yeah, it is a demotivator. I stumbled on it during one of my midnight internet safaris.

Here is a link for The Cool Fix online, havent seen it in any shops though. Also havent used these people so sadly I can't vouch for them

http://www.brummellsoflondon.com/Brands/Contemporary-Collection/Shaveworks/Ingrown-Hairs/b1607/sc1440/p952.aspx?gclid=CI3bmuSgyK8CFYpjfAod_G5YcA

Tackleberry,

Yeah the Tend Skin is pretty much identical by the sounds of it. The ingredients arent too different either I believe, but the effect is the same. Including the stinging that caught me off guard the first time resulting in an interesting if nothing else selection of facial expressions and sounds in front of the mirror. Do you know off hand is the Skin Tend an online only job aswell, or can i get in a real shop??

I've only ever bought it online £8something on offer from Mankind, but I've heard it can be found in some afrocarribean shops as ingrowing hairs are quite a problem for black people and there are many products out there to help (Magic products and Bump stopper).

You could make your own version of Tend Skin or The Cool Fix, by doing a YouTube search. The young woman crushes aspirin and uses alcohol and witch hazel.
I think I would add some glycerin to be more comfortable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0ikPJIJXMs

lindyhop66 said:
You could make your own version of Tend Skin or The Cool Fix, by doing a YouTube search. The young woman crushes aspirin and uses alcohol and witch hazel.
I think I would add some glycerin to be more comfortable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0ikPJIJXMs

I saw that one a while back and must admit she looked like she had a lovely smooth chin so maybe it works.

is there a video of her showing her legs in that case?

ok so a home made version may be the answer. the family already think im wierd enough, thats before i start home brewing beauty products. if it all goes wrong i can at least use the rubbing alcohol to kick start my gut rot whiskey shop....

ive decided to just buy an alum block, only realy way to compaire i guess. but i am tempted by home made concoctions, after mixing some witchhazel in to a nivea Q10 balm to cut down on the pots i took on my holiday. i found this works really well to my surprise

Johnus said:
Demotivator??? Thought that that was my last boss before I retired. I'll bite: what's a Demotivator??

demotivators is a general term used to describe the parodies of the motivational posters you tend to find dotted about various offices now. the sort that wi
ll have some positive motto. demotivators tend to be the oposet

Back
Top Bottom