Alternative blades

I've bought some Gems for the 1912's and Micromatics and feathers for the Valets from Connaught. I also tried a gem super stainless kindly donated by Paul, and it seemed far superior.
So what else is out there and where can I get them from?
Gaz

They're lovely, those GEM Super Stainless aren't they? Funny, though, I was chatting to a pal in the States who seems to be able to get those quite readily and he rates them about as dangerous a plastic crayon that couldn't cut its way out of a paper bag! Oddball :D

Okay ...

GEM/Personna are going to be your staple.
PAL & Treet can be had from various places online - these will have 009RD on the spine. PAL, I think, are carbon steel and will appear to rust as you use them.
Oh, GEM Blue Star as well ... and CVS, both of which seem to be found in US Pharmacies.
Occasionally, you'll find a cost-effective method of picking up something like GEM Super Stainless.
NOS GEM & Ever Ready can be found every now and again.
DO NOT think about using window scrapers - these are two facet or single facet blades and just not sharp enough for shaving. Shaving blades are three faceted.
Don't forget, you can take the spine off a GEM and slip a Feather into it to use in your 1912s and Micromatics.

Choices are limited, but I think that's no bad thing really.

Hoosier Trooper wrote a super guide for us over on TOST: http://theoriginalsafetytoo.proboards.com/thread/98/single-edge-blade-guide

... and if you snip the edges off a DE blade and slip one edge behind the blade lugs, snap the lid closed on a 1912, it works. Quite well, actually, but a bit of blade chatter.

Thanks for that Paul. I'm a fan of the Personna SS, at least in my very limited 1912 knowledge. I could see straight away what all the fuss was about.
I do like the idea of slipping the spine on a Feather, though whether they could offer a better shave remains to be seen.
My daughter tried the 1912 a couple of weeks ago, and my wife last night, for the first time. Both are hooked, loved the razor, loved the smoothness of the shave. So, not only do I personally want more SE razors, it looks like I'm going to need to stock up on blades - and hide them!

Thanks Paul
Like Gordy I like the idea of trying a feather in my Damaskeene as I really like them in the Valet, I've just taken the back off a couple of used GEMs so will be giving a try shortly. :)

Gaz

Greenpotterer said:
Thanks Paul
Like Gordy I like the idea of trying a feather in my Damaskeene as I really like them in the Valet, I've just taken the back off a couple of used GEMs so will be giving a try shortly. :)

Gaz

Just fitted a back onto a feather blade just be aware feather blades are sharp, especially around the finger area,
Don't try this after a couple of glasses of Malbec :D

Gaz

ps it works a treat

What was that monumentally stupid thing I almost did once? That's it ... I was about to press the sharp edge of the blade with my fingers into a spine. No, really ... it almost happened. I don't have a lot of feeling left in my fingertips after lopping most of 'em off over the years with kitchen knives, but that was about to be THE most stupid thing I might have done.

pjgh said:
What was that monumentally stupid thing I almost did once? That's it ... I was about to press the sharp edge of the blade with my fingers into a spine. No, really ... it almost happened. I don't have a lot of feeling left in my fingertips after lopping most of 'em off over the years with kitchen knives, but that was about to be THE most stupid thing I might have done.

Only small cuts this time, but Twice on the same finger, now thats stupid
Gaz

Back
Top Bottom