altering angles

When starting out at DE shaving I guess most of us give our face a good mowing. In this I mean that the angle of the razor head is horizontal as it goes down the face as seen in the mirror. At first this seems very logical and perhaps safe as we start out on our voyage of DE discovery and along the way we find out that there are other options open to us. I say this as I wanted to try a slant, though I have not as yet done so. So I decided to hold the razor at a 45% but still keeping to the mowing technique and found it offered less resistance, good. Then I went a bit further and added a sweeping motion when shaving the burns & cheeks, even better,so I tried it on the neck area and it worked a treat. It resulted in a cleaner and more comfortable shave all round. Now maybe I'm years behind this game so let me know if I'm waffling on but does anyone else shave like this and how different is the slant compared to a standard set up?

Well, I haven't used a slant bar razor, but my understanding is that you need to use the same technique as you would for a standard razor, letting the blade do the work. I must admit I'm struggling to visualise the technique you describe. When you say that the head is horizontal, do you mean that the handle is vertical? If that's the case then you're doing a lot of unnecessary scraping of the face with the guard bar, and the blade is going to be some 1-2 mm from the face. Alternatively, if the handle is horizontal (parallel to the floor) then you're massaging the face with the cap of the razor and not shaing at all. Depending on the razor you're using at the moment, 45 degrees is closer to the ideal, but may be a bit too aggressive - 30 degrees is often reckoned to be a good angle to experiment with. As for introducing a sweeping motion, if you can do that without changing the angle of the blade against the face during the stroke, then it's a good technique as it is effectively a larger-scale version of the "J-hook" technique that mantic59 advocates.

No think more of the blade going say down the face at a 45% diagonal. It's not the angle of the blade if it was perpendicular to the skin.

chrisbell said:
Well, I haven't used a slant bar razor, but my understanding is that you need to use the same technique as you would for a standard razor, letting the blade do the work. I must admit I'm struggling to visualise the technique you describe. When you say that the head is horizontal, do you mean that the handle is vertical? If that's the case then you're doing a lot of unnecessary scraping of the face with the guard bar, and the blade is going to be some 1-2 mm from the face. Alternatively, if the handle is horizontal (parallel to the floor) then you're massaging the face with the cap of the razor and not shaing at all. Depending on the razor you're using at the moment, 45 degrees is closer to the ideal, but may be a bit too aggressive - 30 degrees is often reckoned to be a good angle to experiment with. As for introducing a sweeping motion, if you can do that without changing the angle of the blade against the face during the stroke, then it's a good technique as it is effectively a larger-scale version of the "J-hook" technique that mantic59 advocates.

You promised not to be long winded Chris :D :D

man of leisure said:
chrisbell said:

:oops: :D :roll:

chrisbell said:
man of leisure said:
chrisbell said:

:oops: :D :roll:

Chris, have you ever considered going into politics? It's all about talking a lot, but not actually saying much :p :p :p

Max

Back
Top Bottom