After shave balm - is it worth it?

I'm not sure why there's an overriding belief amongst some that balm is the answer to itchy, sore shaving rash.

I don't find there's any need for balm whatsoever if the shave is decent, I wonder if the man on that site has thought that his shaving is the problem?

My idea on why is use it is as a moisturizer and a skin protectant. I usually try to use Nivea Protective lotion when I'm going to be outdoors for a while. It's non oily moisturizer with a light sunblock.
And on the very rare occasion when I do shave a little too close... It does feel good too.:)-)

I only feel the need to use it if either

a) I've had a poor shave (recently I've been trying blades that members have kindly sent with purchases I've made and I seemed to use several different types that didn't work well for me)

or

b) I've decided to use some cheap Boots AS in order to use it up, hence I'm missing the benefits of a proper AS lotion such as Prof Blighty's products or Steve's Barbershop Bay Rum.

Well I love my L'Occitane Baux Balm, but really speaking it's basically a moisturiser, that's got the same scent as my EDT, but i have heard the people from L'Occitane saying you can and should use it as a moisturiser, it's £!8 pounds a tube but it's worth it, with the lovely shea butter and wonderful rich scent, when you consider a good moisturiser will cost you over a tenner, then what's wrong with buying a matching balm to go with your EDT, even if it costs a bit more.

Jamie.

pugh-the-special-one said:
Well I love my L'Occitane Baux Balm, but really speaking it's basically a moisturiser, that's got the same scent as my EDT, but i have heard the people from L'Occitane saying you can and should use it as a moisturiser, it's £!8 pounds a tube but it's worth it, with the lovely shea butter and wonderful rich scent, when you consider a good moisturiser will cost you over a tenner, then what's wrong with buying a matching balm to go with your EDT, even if it costs a bit more.

Jamie.

That's one of my favourites and the only one where i use matching balm to EDT. All the other balms tend to have little to no scent.

I feel I don't need it for cooling etc now. I just like to use something after shaving purely for the moisturising benefits.

Same as has already been said - I only used balms as a moisturiser which didn't work well for me, so now I just use an unscented moisturiser. No reason to change that part of my shave.

Well, for me there's two different kind of balms:

- Those which have a good scent and moisturises, hidrates the skin
- Those with a really calming, repair effect

Depending on how has gone my daily shave I use one or other, but I usually only mix in my hands my favorite scented lotion with an unscented cheap balm.

By the way, the most calming balms I have tested (and use only when needed) are:

- Castle Forbes balms
- Santa Maria Novella Emulsione Analcolica
- Institut Karite balm
- Welleda balm

Cheers!

This is exactly why I like forums like this - at the moment I use Cliniques post shave with beard thinner as a moisturizer and also in the hope that it really does make hairs grow back thinner as I have some rather thick patches of stubble. i really like it as a moisturizer as its not oily at all but I can't honestly say its made much difference. I still want something as a moisturizer but a bit more wallet friendly, I was thinking of getting the Proraso white pre/post stuff and giving that a whirl after and before my shave (never tried preshave) but you've given me a list of other products to try along with opinions - damn you!

The proraso is very calming. It's my 'go to' but its menthol is strong enough to make your eyes water (not hyperbole!) and as a cream rather than balm can take longer to soak in

My go to at the moment is Nivea ASB as a general daily use, but I only buy when it is on offer and stock up. Got a bottle of Sunburyboys bay rum a couple of weeks ago, don't use it daily just when going out wiv' 'er indoors. We both love the aroma.

Have been looking at Prof. B's stuff so no doubt will be having a go at that soon.

I personally do not like balms, obviously I haven't tried them all but certainly a large number, but generally I find they leave a greasy feel to my face which feels unclean. Some actually give me irritation.

I can agree with those posters who use a balm as 'first aid', but also can appreciate a bit of superfluous pampering. Sometimes I will rinse off before going out and apply a neutral moisturiser and a squirt of "Morning in Billingsgate". For my night-time shaves, I have a Superdrug spray bottle with 1/2 's Aloe gel, witchazel and few drops glycerin.
Sadly I've had to admit to the veracity of some earlier advice I got here on the forum - there is no after shave panacea!
love'n'joy
Lloyd

Back
Top Bottom