Acquisitions - April 2024

That's either a #160 or a "Standard" depending on where it was made, it's the only Goodwill that wasn't a conversion of an existing razor. It's a New Long Comb that was never slotted down the center, but instead has the diamonds to locate the blade, and corner tabs on the cap which actually locate the cap on the blade, so everything is aligned by the blade. Gillette was going to the New blade and wanted to promote it by giving you a Goodwill razor for free with the purchase of a pack of blades. The Goodwill only worked with the New blades, the OLD three hole blades wouldn't fit, so you had to buy more New blades if you wanted to continue using it, but you could also use the New blades in the OLD type and the New Improved razors.

I have a #162, which is an OLD type that was converted, which was the original concept of the Goodwills, to use up old parts for the free razors. It's made from original OLD type parts and the shave is unaltered, on many of the others, including yours, the cap is a little taller to house the diamonds, so the shave is unavoidably milder. All of the #162s were originally OLD type 102A 1920's razors with the thicker cap and baseplate.

View attachment 119824

View attachment 119825

View attachment 119826

View attachment 119827

View attachment 119828

"This is from the Krumholtz guide:

"The major reason the Goodwill idea was promoted was to wean the public away from the old three-hole 'No Stropping, No Honing' blades in favour of the new long slot blades. The old style blades would not work in Goodwills, of course, nor would they work in the NEW GILLETTEs."

"There are two distinct styles of Goodwill razors, and it must be understood thatthe Goodwills were made up from parts - parts from Old Type razors and parts from NEW GILLETTEs. The only concession made for the Goodwill was the #160 cap, which was manufactured solely for the use of the Goodwill series.

The most common version of the Goodwill is the Standard Goodwill #160. The indented #160 cap was designed to accept the 'reverse studs' of all Goodwills made up from NEW GILLETTE parts. The #160 guard was a NEW GILLETTE guard that had not had the centre slot milled, but had two diamond reverse studs created in a punch press. By reverse studs, I mean that the studs went through or into the cap of the guard, rather than the studs being placed in the cap, and going through the guard."

"Another type of Goodwill made up from NEW GILLETTE parts was the Special Goodwill #175 which used a #160 cap. The guard was the same as found on the Standard Goodwill, except this razor had received the milling operation of the centre slot. The guard is different from that of normal NEW GILLETTES in that it has the protruding 'reverse studs' punched in. This razor was produced in extremely small quantities only in 1931.

The last version made from NEW GILLETTE parts was the Special Goodwill #170. This razor retained the #160 cap but featured two 'L' shaped studs punched into the guard. These took the place of the diamond-shaped reverse studs. This version was also produced in extremely small quantities only in 1931.

All other Goodwills were fabricated from surplus Old Type parts; two versions of these razors were produced. The first of these was the #162 Reverse Stud Goodwill. This razor features reverse studs in the diamond shape that were punched in the Old Type guard in the same manner as the standard Goodwill. The cap had the same diamond-shaped holes punched out which corresponded to the studs. Also, corner positioning posts were bent into the cap ends. This razor was produced only in 1931.

The #164 Reverse Stud Goodwill was made in a similar fashion. The difference is that the guard had a slotted centre hole and the cap had 'inside slot positioning posts' that corresponded to the guard's slot. This razor was only produced during 1931.

The tops of the caps of both the #162 and #164 Goodwills were embossed with a tasteful decoration that borders the punched out diamond holes."

Excellent backstory Toby, thank you. My one was made in USA. I would agree it is on the mild side but still shaves a treat with a decent blade. Not bad for a 90 year old razor! Cheers Alan

View attachment 119842
Mail call.
My Factory shave Omega Boar brush arrived today thanks to me being easily enabled by the conversation in this very thread.
Whilst I was at it I popped a few blades I had not tried and with the mail ban coming up, I ordered them in the 100 packs just incase I enjoyed any of them, they were cheap enough.
The Nacet Blades I already have and just wanted to top up my stash of them.
The big question is what ones to try first?

You'll be happy with all of that! What a superb haul!

Silver Stars first?

Last edited:
IMG_0134.jpeg

Just on a whim, some proper Yorkshire soap for the shower.

I have some history with lanolin. When I was a teenager I was very poorly and spent months in the hospital on bed rest. Twice a day, a nurse would arrive, whip me kecks down and apply lanolin to my hindquarters to prevent bedsores.

At the age of 68 I find that one has to go “private” for this sort of treatment… and you have to pay extra if you want the lady to wear a naughty nurse’s uniform… so a bar of Mitchells in the shower it is, then…

View attachment 119869

I have some history with lanolin. When I was a teenager I was very poorly and spent months in the hospital on bed rest. Twice a day, a nurse would arrive, whip me kecks down and apply lanolin to my hindquarters to prevent bedsores.

At the age of 68 I find that one has to go “private” for this sort of treatment… and you have to pay extra if you want the lady to wear a naughty nurse’s uniform… so a bar of Mitchells in the shower it is, then…
1714318547882.png

View attachment 119869

Unless you are the Singing Detective...

It's great soap btw, I use it as my pre shave.

Unless you are the Singing Detective...

It's great soap btw, I use it as my pre shave.
@donnie_arko - MWF soap is a great choice as a pre shave. We have a similar Aussie soap (tallow/glycerin/lanolin) that I will use once my last barrette of Valobra glicerlanolina is finished. I have used it, and whilst not quite as good as the Valobra, it is not far behind.

lanolin_soap.jpg

Back
Top Bottom