Acquisition Disorder: Any Known Cures?

Started off with blades. Yeah, Dodgy will have something to say about that. Still got loads of blades but have slowed down a bit. Went through a slight razor phase. I have probably sold far more than I have now. I probably have about ten razors these days and there are a few I'd like to try but aside from a US Aristocrat there aren't many I would part with money for.
I like the Stahly head a lot and would like one of those that I could put on some handles I already have, but I find the long comb New, Progress and (for quick shaves) the Fatboy close to perfection.

The soap phase came after I lost interest in creams. Creams are ok as an occasional change of pace but I enjoy lathering a soap and I love thick tallow soaps the best. There are quite a lot of high end soaps and creams I have very little experience with but I like to get a good product at a good price and not pay for a name unless there's a really good reason to.
Never got into brushes - I have a handful of cheap boars, one synthetic and one silvertip badger.
Got quite a few EDTs and aftershaves but that pre-dates this shaving obsession nonsense. Some mid-end and some low-end stuff.

Like finding good vintage soaps and blades, especially if I find something people have forgotten about but I love from the start. There have been a few bargains from ebay and members here and very few regrets.

I have benefited from a lot of people's kindness on here in getting certain monkeys off my back. Thank you all. It's not enabling if they lend you stuff without obligation to buy. I think!

NotTheStig said:
Got quite a few EDTs and aftershaves but that pre-dates this shaving obsession nonsense. Some mid-end and some low-end stuff.

This for me. With or without this forum I'd still be spending a fair bit on smellies. Have been doing since the 80s and can't see that changing any time soon.

I blame my owd dear. Whenever she she went abroad on holiday she'd bring back an expensive bottle of EDT for my step-dad who refused to wear owt but Old Spice. It'd be left there in the bathroom for me and my brothers to use as we wished.

By the time I was 14 I had already been wearing Kouros, Aramis 900 and Antaeus for a couple of years - this was when lads my age were discovering Insignia, Hai Karate and Lynx Amber.

My problem is vintage Gillettes,got hundreds of them. Lately it's been vintage sets... 460s, combination sets, ABC Pocket Editions. Keep meaning to sell them on, but when I see that triple plated silver polished up and gleaming I can't seem to press that "sell" button. Must get therapy!

^ A quick side question if I may, majortom - what are the silver plated ABC sets worth in good nick? (See, still in the grip of RAD.)

majortom said:
My problem is vintage Gillettes,got hundreds of them. Lately it's been vintage sets... 460s, combination sets, ABC Pocket Editions.

Tom, you had me fooled. Never figured you for that sorta... umm... that kinda healthy enthusiasm for Gillettes. No kidding....100s eh?

Man, I remember when you joined here and it seems so recent. Thanks for that post.

Martin

majortom said:
My problem is vintage Gillettes,got hundreds of them. Lately it's been vintage sets... 460s, combination sets, ABC Pocket Editions. Keep meaning to sell them on, but when I see that triple plated silver polished up and gleaming I can't seem to press that "sell" button. Must get therapy!

I alluded to exactly this problem above ...

RAD is one thing SOAP is another ... selling on acquisition problem.

For me the cure is an insect called Walletus Mothadae. Or Wallet Moth. They are attracted to wallets, and the moth secretes a juice around the opening of the wallet, effectively sealing it so that it cannot be opened.

Debit Card worm is quite prevelant where I live as well. It's a lava that likes nibbling at plastic cards.

Seriously though, despite DE shaving for a total of 14 years, I've never had the urge to buy anything more than what I have, and that's 4 razors, 5 brushes, around 350 blades, 1 tube of shaving cream, 5 soaps, and 2 face washes, 1 scrub, and 3 aftershave balms. So I won't be spending any more for at least a year apart from face wash or face scrubs.

PhilD said:
^ A quick side question if I may, majortom - what are the silver plated ABC sets worth in good nick? (See, still in the grip of RAD.)
Hi Phil
Seems to vary wildly.Have seen them go for around £40 for the plain ones, to £160 and more for the Empire and gun metal cases . Still a lot of people don't recognise them and I've picked up a few where the boxes were black and tatty looking but polish up like new. Some of the Pocket Editions come with just the Gillette ball end razors, but the original ABC models with the fluted and ornate handles are absolutely gorgeous. They are also quite aggressive little blighters to shave with too.

dodgy said:
majortom said:
My problem is vintage Gillettes,got hundreds of them. Lately it's been vintage sets... 460s, combination sets, ABC Pocket Editions.

Tom, you had me fooled. Never figured you for that sorta... umm... that kinda healthy enthusiasm for Gillettes. No kidding....100s eh?

Man, I remember when you joined here and it seems so recent. Thanks for that post.

Martin
Yes , only a few years back I was quite sane and a respected member of society. Where did it all go wrong? (Possibly the company I'm keeping)

majortom said:
PhilD said:
^ A quick side question if I may, majortom - what are the silver plated ABC sets worth in good nick?

Hi Phil
Seems to vary wildly.Have seen them go for around £40 for the plain ones, to £160 and more for the Empire and gun metal cases . Still a lot of people don't recognise them and I've picked up a few where the boxes were black and tatty looking but polish up like new. Some of the Pocket Editions come with just the Gillette ball end razors, but the original ABC models with the fluted and ornate handles are absolutely gorgeous. They are also quite aggressive little blighters to shave with too.

Ah thanks, so a big range there. There's an ornate silver plated one with the 'basket' case in an antique shop here for £85, so that sounds reasonable retail pricing within the range you quote. If it's still there when I next have some money I may make them an offer, it's a thing of beauty. That's a handy property of old neglected silver that when it tarnishes it looks black and unappealing which puts casual viewers off!

Cure?? What I've done is changed what I buy!! This fountain pen thing has been great for me. In place of buying a 50$ razor... I buy a 2$ pen that includes shipping. Guess it's like giving up smoking... I use the same motions, same eBay, comes in the same mail but only costs me a couple of bucks!!
Now if I can find a site that ships Snuff for free I'll be in paradise !!

Back
Top Bottom