A big HELLO from Nottinghamshire!

Welcome to another Nottingham person, glad to have you around! I'm born and bred nottingham, but very shortly off to leeds to start a new job.
Best of luck with the shaving - notice there's a few straights on the BST at the moment, might be of interest to you. :)

Ben

Allen,
Welcome to TSR, you've come to the right place. Are you plunging straight into shaving with straight razors or have you already tried DE shaving? Respect to anyone who drags bare steel across their throat, too risky for me. Good luck, just leave your wallet open on the table and repeat after me: "I surrender".

Regards,
Chris

Allen,
Welcome to TSR, you've come to the right place. Are you plunging straight into shaving with straight razors or have you already tried DE shaving? Respect to anyone who drags bare steel across their throat, too risky for me. Good luck, just leave your wallet open on the table and repeat after me: "I surrender".

Regards,
Chris
Thought of taking the big plunge. What could possibly go wrong! Not tried DE shaving. What does it even stand for? Is it what my dad used to use before the advent of 'shaving systems like Gillette and Wilkinson?

Thought of taking the big plunge. What could possibly go wrong! Not tried DE shaving. What does it even stand for? Is it what my dad used to use before the advent of 'shaving systems like Gillette and Wilkinson?
Hello Allen. The reference is to the type of blade DE, double edge, SE, single edge. If you take a look, there are separate parts of the forum for both- as well as straight razors.

My advice would be to take a look at brushes and savings soaps/creams for starters - good preparation goes a long way.

Allen,
+1 UKRob.

As you said, it's the razor your Dad and Granddad probably used before the likes of Gillette & Wilkinson sword convinced us that you needed more than one blade for an effective shave and flogged us their "shaving systems" at inflated prices.

Beard preparation is a key factor to a good shave, as is taking your time. It's not a race and the process is quite therapeutic.

There are many helpful and informative videos on Youtube. Have a look at those from Mantic59 and The Sharpologist web site, if you haven't already, for advice and reviews.

Regards,
Chris

Back
Top Bottom