7 o'clock DE in tin

As per acquisitions thread, this arrived today.
Surprised that the head and baseplate are in very god condition (especially the baseplate - very shiny). Have done two eight minute ultrasonic cleans in shower gel and tried scrubbing up with some Silvo but hasn't lessened the blackness of the handle. could it be the plating has come off there? Wouldn't it be brass coloured?
If it can't be improved without a replate it's not th end of the world; I have a handle from our Daz coming soon and intend to use the head on that. If it fits!

And if anyone knows anything about these I'd be interested to here. It might be a frankenrazor for all I know. A carbon steel Gillette Blue blade was inside (hence the rust) which had a date code of S4. Surely they weren't making those old blades in 1972?

Thanks

IMAG0553-1.jpg

IMAG0552.jpg

IMAG0551.jpg

IMAG0550.jpg

IMAG0549.jpg

The black sections not so visible above. Unfortunately my camera is dreadful and it wouldn't focus when so close. This is the best I could manage
IMAG0556.jpg

Thanks all. Well i've shaved with it and like it. Probably will use the head with my forthcoming handle.

Wow that blade has been in there 65 years! Almost feel bad about taking it out and chucking it away.

NotTheStig said:
Wow that blade has been in there 65 years! Almost feel bad about taking it out and chucking it away.

I figured you had this Gillette dating link already.

Attachments

• RENALDO.US - Gillette Razor and Blade Dating and Feature Information.html
    43.7 KB · Views: 7
I know I'm a beginner but it doesn't look to me to be all that aggressive. The angles and the chunky comb just seem right. But what the hang do I know?

The handle is slightly different to my 7 O'clock...mine just has the two rings at the end..

As a shaver I'd rate it as about the same as a Merkur Futur set on 2 1/2..a very nice non-aggressive shave.

These, along with the other News I have, give an absolutely fantastic shave. If you want to try an open comb this type of razor would be the one I'd recommend starting with.

I've used it twice now and it is a very nice shave. The handle has good balance but is too thin for me and I had in mind when I bought it to stick my custom handle on it when I get it. Should be an excellent razor then.

I also really like the logo and artwork of the tin (and the blades I have)!

Back
Top Bottom