50th Straight razor shave musings

By my reconning I completed my fiftieth full straight shave today. So to encourage others my thoughts

I got into this thanks to Mikaels pass round straight and whilst I bought one before it got to me it was this that got me started

I still watch Mikaels videos to improve my technique or refining difficult areas like the chin. I have not found any better

I originally intended just to shave a weekends when I have more time but this quickly went to the wall as I was enjoying it too much. Now takes me 30 mins shower and DFS each morning. Don't think I can get much quicker

I am using two passes wtg atg and a touch up

I have less irritation than using a DE which is a great surprise

I have two razors which I rotate weekly. I strop 20 laps post shave to dry and then 30 to 40 laps each evening. I touch up every 14 shaves using Crox on balsa so far both razors are very sharp and nowhere needing to be sent off for honing which was one of my concerns

I would love another razor and would look for something of a heavier grind as both my current razors I think are full hollows. Nothing wrong with that but worth trying something new on my tough beard

The secret as told by everybody is prep

Next steps are to refine and keep getting better and better

Random musings I know but may encourage someone to give it a try. It's not impossible and I was getting acceptable work shaves after 10 days

Encouragement always good.

I just progressed on to trying the second ATG pass today, and got a couple of really small nicks for my pains. Still it was fun and better (for me) than using just a DE in terms of irritation. I'm looking forward to catching you up and doing a full straight razor shave.

Links to the useful videos you mentioned would be nice.

Can you post a link for the video please, I'm about 30 shaves in and getting good shaves with WTG, XTG on the cheeks and top lip and ATG on neck and chin.

I'm about 10 shaves in with my shavette (quiet at the back) and having no problems on cheeks, jawline but occasionally redness on my neck area which I think is either poor prep or bad angle 'raking' my skin. Or both.

No probs with chin area as I don't shave there ;) and I'm starting to get used to top lip area. Have done a couple of complete shaves so far without the need to touch up anywhere with the DE or leccy. Looking to buy a proper straight soon as the shavette was just a tester to see if I got on with it.

The videos are on the Straight lending pool thread

http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/forum/thread-13601.html

Well worth watching and better anything else n YouTube as far as I am concerned

Back
Top Bottom