RE: So I'd Like to Make a Strop

Jamie's your man and I'm sure he'll be along to give some advice based on what he's done in the past. Bear in mind that the strop will need to be between 2 and 3" wide and you might want to consider using some form of cushioning underneath - I've used the stuff that springs back to shape and is about 3mm thick.

Length of the stropping area I would say no less than 250mm up to 300mm. With the thickness of the leather you may not need to be too concerned about exact flatness - the table top sander should be fine. Remember to chamfer the edges of the leather - this helps protect against nicks.

Hi Graeme I have made a few bench strops and use them all the time, I mostly have them pasted with chromium oxide mixed with neatsfoot oil, if I'm honest I would be hard pushed to get along without them, I also used English pit tanned leather, I used hardwood timber cut and planed to what ever size you want, I personally like a long draw on my bench strops, and the leather then glued into place using contact adhesive, make it easy to replace with another piece of leather.

razorquest said:
is that the tony miller linen i have heard so much about hanging there Jamie?

That's correct Pete, the Tony Miller Heirloom old No.2, 3inch is a great strop, I move between the Kanayama and this which are both sides of my work bench, I really like the linen on the Tony Miller, I'm not much fussed on the Kanyama linen far to hard trying my best to soften it up though.

Johnus said:
Very impressed with out setup!! If I ever get my act together, it's something I'd like to copy.

It's a spare small back bedroom, I never have liked the idea of stropping my razors in the bathroom with those hard tiled floors, and the bedroom provides good light and space to maintain not only my own but so much safer when you are servicing and honing a members razor.

i went over my kanayama canvas with the slurry stone from my 1k chosera, its better but i still think it will have nothing on genuine linen

razorquest said:
i went over my kanayama canvas with the slurry stone from my 1k chosera, its better but i still think it will have nothing on genuine linen

After reading this Pete I put my King flattening stone over my Kanayama linen strop after a few forceful passes the Kanayama linen as softened up quite considerably.

pugh-the-special-one said:
razorquest said:

After reading this Pete I put my King flattening stone over my Kanayama linen strop after a few forceful passes the Kanayama linen as softened up quite considerably.

:icon_biggrin:

Back
Top Bottom