1st Soap?

If you don't want to buy the shaving stuff from the internet(yet), Arko sticks can be found in Turkish/Middle eastern shops and Turkish barbers sell them as well usually around £1

Thanks for all the recommendations, I'll think I'll go with the Palmolive stick first as it's so easy to get and I get on with their cream well. Next up will be the Proraso, I think and then the slippery slope or s(l)oap ........ :)

Gorbash said:
+1 for Arko, very easy to lather and nice fresh scent to go alongside it.

Good lather yes, fresh scent no. Not for me at least. It's a 'marmite' scent in that some love it and others hate it, I am of the latter persuasion (AKA the right :D).

pjgh said:
Simply, it doesn't lather well ... the bowl does, in volume!

Strange that, you would think they would be the same stuff. Thanks I won't bother trying it I'll pass it on with some other soaps I don't use to a little wet Shaving group I seem to have started at work... Lol

A sad day... Just used the last of my Taylor of Bond St ' St James' shave cream. It was a fantastic soap and one that would be great to start with!!

I spent about 5 years rotating mwf and proraso green before finding this site

They are not a bad soaps to start.

Another vote for the palmolive soap stick. You can't go wrong with this. Simple to use, no gimmicks like fancy bowls, dirt cheap at 50p each or so and a reasonable scent and lather. Post-shave feeling is very good and quite smooth.

Also, a quick note on menthol products as others seem to have recommended: menthol is not for everyone and many times causes irritation. If you are sure that menthol won't harm your skin, then go ahead with those suggestions.

Had my first shave with the Palmolive stick today. Went really well. I was surprised at how easy it lathered. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom