1937 Senator

Just a question a friend sent me a 1937 Senator its lovely (just have to find the right blade to suit) but it could do with replating are these worth replating? Also I have never used a open comb before now are they all aggressive by nature?

And what blades to people use as I found the feather a bit of a beast in it today, I swap a straight shave for this today and was pleased with the results and maybe I will do this on the weekend and stick to the straight in the week as I find that a straight is quicker as I had to be careful with the angle of the senator

Open comb doesn't automatically mean more aggressive.Check the blade gap and see how it looks.

Blade gap looks fine nice and even all over, Maybe I need to to use a different blade in this other than a feather, So how about the plating?

Hiya,

I'm familiar with that Senator/Sheraton type. It's one of the few open comb types in my rotation, and I used my Sheraton again just last week. As you probably know, the Sheraton is the same razor plated in the gold color.

Now keep in mind my opinions may not be the same as your experiences might end up being, but I do have a pretty good handle on various Gillette OC razors.

Believe it or not, the Senator is one of the milder open combs I've tried. The TTO head design gives it a different feel from most other open combs, and it's one I can use pretty comfortably. Many other OC types are waaay too aggressive for me to use at all, no matter how purty lookin they are. A few other types are about as mild or milder, but not many.

The Senator/Sheraton feels like about the 6 setting on my fatboy. It's a little higher than I like, but will use the razor because the overall shave experience makes up for that one flaw. Nice for a change of pace.

Definitely try a milder blade or two and see what happens. It may very well help to temper things a bit, but the razor is still gonna be one you have to pay attention to when shaving.

Replating em is a toss up. It's hard to say if it's worth doing that or buying another one in great shape. I don't see em for sale very often, but I don't believe they're extremely expensive. Of course if you love the thing then replating might make sense, but otherwise it's your call.

Hope that helps,

Martin

Here's a pic of the Sheraton

Attachments

• Sheraton and Ranger and undated superspeed 001.jpg
    359 bytes · Views: 134
Okay thanks for the reply, I will get some blade samples in a week or so and try some different types, I will try it again tomorrow with a different soap as sometimes depending on what soap I use depends on the out come of my shave.... As for the replating I will get this done as it was a gift from a close friend and its one I would like to keep.

Onlything is not sure where to get it replated as Dave from safty razor is not answering?

Back
Top Bottom