ZEW Shaving soap

Hi all,

I have recently raided a TK Maxx in London, and bought a couple of shaving products I had never encountered before. One of them is this Polish shaving soap that goes for 3-4 quid a cake.
29356852_1642152159153466_3229468948760100864_n.jpg

I don't know what benefits does charcoal offer to the shave, but it's also got shea butter, licorice oil, Green tea and aloe extract, and looked generally pleasing in terms of formulation. And it's 3 quid anyway, plus I personally like the smell.

Now, regarding the shave - the soap is very hard, I doubt you will have much luck bowl lathering with it. However, luckily I face lather exclusively, and my stubble is doing quite fine picking up soap from hard cakes like this - although, admittedly, I had to load at least twice as long as usual. Lather is on a thin side (compared to my usual Speick or Cade), however it's still very protective and glide is excellent. Also, I think on the skincare front it's quite nice. Anyway, it was good enough to get me through a Feather SS shave without any nicks or burns.

So there you go - a funny little addition to your arsenal that could be handy when you're on a road, and is totally worth trying out given the price point. Recommended.

Interesting soap with interesting ingredients, I went to the TK Max here but there wasn't anything shave related apart from the stupid gift set including a synthetic brush with a tub of shave butter(or whatever it is)

Interesting soap with interesting ingredients, I went to the TK Max here but there wasn't anything shave related apart from the stupid gift set including a synthetic brush with a tub of shave butter(or whatever it is)
Well, TK is a very random place. They rotate stock daily, and there's no consistency between the stores either. So just heads up - if you ever see this, check it out. I also got an Israeli post shave balm with all the Dead sea salts, but not as impressed by that one.

Well, TK is a very random place. They rotate stock daily, and there's no consistency between the stores either. So just heads up - if you ever see this, check it out. I also got an Israeli post shave balm with all the Dead sea salts, but not as impressed by that one.
I agree with what you said about TK, I picked some good shaving stuff in the past, definitely worth checking regularly.

The Portland shave soap they had in the past was a winner. British made tallow goodness

...I don't know what benefits does charcoal offer to the shave...

According to http://www.zewformen.com/collection/shaving-soap/ , "charcoal is known for its detoxifying, cleansing and antibacterial properties."
From the same maker, " The charcoal efficiently cleanses and freshens the body. Its beneficial properties have been known for years. When in contact with skin, its particles absorb impurities not only from the skin surface, but also from its deeper layers. It is considered the most powerful absorbent occurring naturally."

There.

According to http://www.zewformen.com/collection/shaving-soap/ , "charcoal is known for its detoxifying, cleansing and antibacterial properties."
From the same maker, " The charcoal efficiently cleanses and freshens the body. Its beneficial properties have been known for years. When in contact with skin, its particles absorb impurities not only from the skin surface, but also from its deeper layers. It is considered the most powerful absorbent occurring naturally."

There.
Well, it's known for its absorption properties, the rest is a consequence. I'm quite sure it doesn't draw anything from "deeper layers", but overall should be alright from cleansing perspective, true.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom