Your hits and misses for 2018?

Barrister and Mann, in particular Leviathan, delivered in absolutely every aspect I hoped it would.

I haven't bought too many new soaps so no real misses for me this year.

(Great idea for a thread, I'm really interested to see what comes up here)

Hits:
Saponificio Varesino Dolomiti - complex, enigmatic, makes you think, outstanding performance
MWF - everything everybody raves about, and like the scent. Likes a good synthetic brush.
Omega Via Barberia Herbae - a real surprise at £9.50. Love the floral scent and top Italian quality. I recommend this one.
Omega Via Barberia Fructi - not immediately as convincing as Herbae, but one I want to try some more, top Italian quality.

On the fence:
Proraso Red - I'd use this once in a while, like the fragrance but not top tier. Not a miss, not a hit.
Gentleman's Face Care Club Caribbean Limes - like the lemon scent, I'd use this again, performs well. Kind of a hit.

Misses:
Cella - it just smells of marzipan. Nuff said. Good performer and post-shave feel, though.
Tabac - I don't get the "wonderful scent" here, seems rather synthetic compared to the artisans.
TOBS Jermyn St. - very disappointed here, mediocre performance, didn't like the scent much, vanished fast and left you empty.

Unclassifiable:
Grooming Dept. Magnolia - this is an extraordinary soap. Very strong magnolia fragrance and lingers for hours - like putting your face in a magnolia bush and leaving it there all day. I really don't know what to say about this one - it's scary....

Henri et Victoria Nautilus is the only soap I've bought this year so far. It was a huge disappointment: I found it difficult to lather (it reminded me of MWF), and the lather it did make was not very slick or cushioning. Also, the scent was almost non-existent. I traded it for a Harris Lavender shaving stick, an excellent product.

Last edited:
Misses....Trying to lather Saponificio soap with a synthetic brush! This soap recommended a hair brush and the results are VASTLY better.

Hit for me was Wickhams 1912, English Rose. Just glorious. Bart's Balms also fantastic, a great newcomer to the market and simply top class. I like the bergamot/vanilla and the peppermint ones.

Not tried many this year compared to some on here.

Hits:

Vreto (Opium)
d'Ardenne Short & Bell (Colonial)
Cella
Extro (Tabacco)

On the fence:

3P
Stirling (Piacenza)

Miss:

Myrsol (Formula K, Agua Balsamica & Don Miguel 1919)
Haslinger (Tallow free)
Extro (Positano)
Vreto (every scent other than Opium!)
LPL (Oud Santal)
PdP (No.63)
Proraso (Red)

Hits- LEA Classic Soap & Cream
Artful Badger Bay Rum Shaving Cream
Crowne & Crane Spruce Shaving Soap

Misses none...All the new stuff I tried is above and it worked well.

Hits
Barrister and Mann 42
Loccitane soap in the bowl
Palmolive cream in the tube..just got round to trying it this year and well tbh its up there with the best, very good quality

Misses
Non

We've still got a good slice of 2018 to go, but ... this year I returned to MWF as pretty much my sole soap - hit, hit, hit!

Wickham's 1912 range continues to impress as quite literally the best soap out there - the inclusion of an English Rose into the line-up is wonderful! Hit!

GFT Eucris cream in a pot. Hit!

No fails for 2018 ... I've not bought anything in that I'm not already familiar with.

Back
Top Bottom