Yellow Lake Finishing Stone

3ERsrKj.jpg

NEOABFL.jpg

B6faX4s.jpg

I Took My German Made Keen Cutter Simmons 6/8th to the Naniwa 8 K to 12 K & Finished it on My Coticule & then the Welsh Yellow Lake..I Done this on the Advice of a Fellow Forum Member..This is the 3rd Razor I have Done this with Consistent Results..The Coticule is around 12 K + with Lather & I Took the Razor Off the Yellow Lake Around the 16 K Mark..:)

I Am Getting a Spectacular Sharp & Smooth Shaving Edge with this Set Up..You are NOT Gonna Believe Me when I Say this..This Welsh Yellow Lake with Oil has a 20 K + Finishing Capacity..Oh Yeah..Seriously..This Yellow Lake Stone Can Over Hone Swedish Steel to the Point where the Razor is Unusable...My Surgical Black Arkansas Stone is a 20 K Finisher & the Yellow Lake is Light Years Finer..o_O

If You See One of these Yellow Lake Stones in the Red Packaging then Get One..I Was Astounded at the High Grit Finishing Capacity of this Welsh Slate Stone..I Would have Laughed if Anyone had Said that a Welsh Slate Could Possibly have Such a High Grit Finishing Capacity..In Fact I Would have Curled Up on the Floor..:eek::eek:

The Full Hollow Keen Cutter Took a Spectacular Shaving Edge with this Set Up..The Edges are Smooth, Sharp & Like a Ghost on the Face..These Yellow Lake Stones Generally Go Very Cheap By the Way on EBay Obviously because SR Folks Don't Know Much about them..;)

Just to Add..I Can Only Talk about Mine..And it Aint Up for Grabs..:D:D:D:D

Billy

How do I notice an overhoned edge?
Experience I Guess..To Test it..I Maxed a Couple of Razors Out & they were Unusable..The Edge on One was Starting to Crumble..The Japanese Swedish Steel Job..Once You Know You're Steel & Comparable Grit Rating to Stones You Know then You are Cooking with Gas..Just User Experience..Just Go By Feel & Your Honing Knowledge..:D

Billy

Indeed! It most certainly is not. Watered, it didn't seem to finish anywhere near as well as a Chinese stone I have rated to around 12K. With oil, it became quite different.

Yeah, yours looks lovely - I can see it's soft, just by looking :D
Aye..I Never Use Water with Mine..Its Sold as an Oil Stone..Some Use Water for the Lower End of its Capacity which is around 8 K & then Oil to Finish..I Just Use Oil..A 3 in 1 Type Oil..Works for Me..This is a Very Fine Stone..Its Like Glass..Its a Fast Cutter as Well & Easy to Lap as its Not the Hardest Stone..o_O

Mine Came Flat & I Lapped it from 400 Grit to 1000 Grit with Wet n Dry..A Few Ticks Does the Job..:D

Billy

How do I notice an overhoned edge?
I think you can over hone an edge when you are setting the bevel and when you look very closely with a loop or microscope, you will see the edge like a saw. In my opinion; if you set the bevel properly and gone through the process and finally come to the finisher, especially when using a natural stone with the taped spine, it should take you half a day constant honing to over hone or wire edge. This is my thoughts, I may be wrong.

I did lap a 8-10 k welsh stone and after a lot of work when finally flat (seriously warped to start with) it felt like glass, not sure if it will cut at this state though.
I Cant Talk about Other Welsh Slate Stones..The One I have Feels Nearly as Hard as My Arkansas Surgical Black to Hone On..Both are Oil Stones Primarily..The Paradox is that the Yellow Lake I have is Not a Hard Stone to Lap..Its Not Near as Hard as an Escher Thuri..The Hardest Natural Stones Don't Necessarily = the Finest Grit Stones..This is One Serious Smooth Fine Grit Stone..;)

But..As I Said it Feels Like a Very Hard Stone to Hone On..I Would Say it Cuts as Fast as an Escher Thuri which I Would Suggest is as Consistent as Any Modern Synthetic Hone..In Other Words the Yellow Lake is as User Friendly and as Consistent as a Modern Synthetic..Well..For Me Anyway..o_O

I May Add..I Can Only Talk of My Yellow Lake..:D:D

Billy

Back
Top Bottom