Yaaaaay - another shave and another DISASTER! - *Updates*

Well,

Left shaving for a few days to give my skin a rest and tried today.

Edwin Jagger DE89
Brand New Astra SP
Castle Forbes Lime Cream

Lathered up a lot and took my time. The cream was so slick I thought WOW.

Well , it turned out rubbish. I made a conscious effort to put no pressure on and I couldn't put any less on if I tried and this...

Attachments

• IMG_0087.jpg
    IMG_0087.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_0088.jpg
    IMG_0088.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 148
Oh crap, that is not good my son. Not a bad combination of gear imo. No pressure you say?

Ok others will probably give you better advice. But what I would do is put aside the Astras, for a start. They can be a bit so-so. Do you have an adjustable? I would pick up my progress or my fat boy or slim and dial it right down and stay there or a week or two while I experiment with the blades, change of blade every two days.

If you need any help like a few blades or the loan of an adjustable, pm me. Be patient though, I don't come here as often as I used to.

Don't give up.

Ouch! I'm no fan of the Astra blades and they are weeper city for me so I avoid them like the plague. I prefer Russian blades such as Voskhod, Ladas and Rapira and an Egyptian blade called Shark. All are sharp yet smooth. If you want to try some PM me your address and I'll send you a few to try if you like?

Something way wrong if that's a no pressure result Matt. Can't see the EJ 89 being involved in causing that type of damage, which only leaves the blade, cream or technique. Definitely leave off shaving for another couple of days if you can get away with it m8 and maybe try gently massaging an oil of your choice into the skin prior to lathering up. Normally I'd have thought too much pressure, however you've covered that one, so I'll suggest maybe taking 49r up on his kind suggestion of the loan of an adjustable and keeping dialled right down.

JohnnyO. o/

Awwwww ...

I don't quite know what to suggest. Muscle memory is key. Keep at it, that's all I can say. I really don't know how anyone cuts themselves with a DE ... really. No, really. Give me your most aggressive DE and I just won't be able to cut myself.

It MUST be muscle memory. It must be.

I know that's no help at all to you, but here's two suggestions:

1. Close your eyes when you shave. I did this when I started straight edge shaving and it leapt me forward no end.
2. Get an alum block.

Keep at it. It will be good. It will be rewarding.

Oh crap, that is not good my son. Not a bad combination of gear imo. No pressure you say?

Ok others will probably give you better advice. But what I would do is put aside the Astras, for a start. They can be a bit so-so. Do you have an adjustable? I would pick up my progress or my fat boy or slim and dial it right down and stay there or a week or two while I experiment with the blades, change of blade every two days.

If you need any help like a few blades or the loan of an adjustable, pm me. Be patient though, I don't come here as often as I used to.

Don't give up.

The EJ 89 is actually milder than the progress on its lowest setting.

Matt, that looks bad.

Do you think you could video your shave next time.

Get some sudocream or baby bottom cream from waitrose and apply some to your face.

Have another go when the skin is fully heal.

PM me your address and I'll send you some blades for you to try ;)

Don't give up.

Thanks for the reply. I am on the list for the Fatboy adjustable so will have that in a few weeks so probably best to wait for that. Thanks for the offer though. Regarding blades then I have Astra SP, Astra SS, Feather, Vokshod, Lord Platinum, Gillette Yellow. If you have a few others that you think may benefit me then would appreciate trying a few. Also I have loads of the Astra SP that I could send to you in return if you want any.

Matt

The EJ 89 is actually milder than the progress on its lowest setting.

Matt, that looks bad.

Do you think you could video your shave next time.

Get some sudocream or baby bottom cream from waitrose and apply some to your face.

Have another go when the skin is fully heal.

PM me your address and I'll send you some blades for you to try ;)

PM'd :)

Here's my two bob's woth of advice..

if you have a bodycare store near you go in and buy some Aloe Vera gel, it's only 99p and that will sooth and repair your skin..once it's fully recovered, as already commented try a different blade..the EJ89 is a so called mild razor, but any razor either aggressive or non-aggressive can bite you if you shave with a blade that isn't suited to your skin type..

i've trained my brain to "shave the lather from my face, rather than the stubble",this has help me to just let the weight of the razor and blade do the work, and myself be in guiding and been in control of the razor.. @wayne mattison is spot on about the Russian blades..and like everyone else, if you PM your address i will send you some samples to see if they are more suited to your skin type..Don't give up mate..you'll get there.Regards. ;)

Last edited:
Here's my two bob's woth of advice..

if you have a bodycare store near you go in and buy some Aloe Vera gel, it's only 99pence, and that will sooth and repair your skin..once it's fully recovered, as already commented try a different blade..the EJ89 is a so called mild razor, but any razor either aggressive or non-aggressive can bite you if you shave with a blade that isn't suited to your skin type..

i've trained my brain to "shave the lather from my face, rather than the stubble",this has help me to just let the weight of the razor and blade do the work, and myself be in guiding and been in control of the razor.. @wayne mattison is spot on about the Russian blades..and like everyone else, if you PM your address i will send you some samples to see if they are more suited to your skin type..Don't give up mate..you'll get there.Regards. ;)

The way it felt on the third pass especially was as soon as the razor touched my skin , it was painful , as I tried to shave with it, it felt raw. In the end I stopped and have prickly stubble left that will irritate the heck out of me tomorrow morning. Cheers for the offer, will PM you now :)

Hey mattprince,
when I saw this two images a few questions coming up.
1) Do you get the same bad result when you using a cartridge razor?
If not, you just have shaved with the wrong angle.
2) Do you get the same bad result with other DE blades, too?
I am no friend of the Astra Platinum blades, find them very aggressiv. If you are a beginner of DE shaving buy some personna reds or shark blades.
3) Are these all cuts or are these all pimples which are now bleeding after your shave?
4) Are you shaving against the grain?

Stop shaving against the grain untill you get great results with and cross the grain and your skin get adapt to this two passes.
5) You say you used no pressure?
Well, the result tells me that you are still using too much pressure.;):)

Hey mattprince,
I am no friend of the Astra Platinum blades, find them very aggressiv. If you are a beginner of DE shaving buy some personna reds or shark blades.
3) Are these all cuts or are these all pimples which are now bleeding after your shave?

Stop shaving against the grain untill you get great results with and cross the grain and your skin get adapt to this two passes.
All wonderful common sense advice..a great post.;)

Hey mattprince,

Hi,

I don't get this bad with cartridge on a single shave but if I shave again within a week my skin is red raw. I do shave against the grain on the third pass as if I don't the hair on my neck is like needles and the day after irritates me. My stubble is really really coarse and thick. It's not pimples mostly. It's just my skin goes red and blotchy and I get red bumps. I do have a few little spots today but that isn't the norm.

Matt

Back
Top Bottom