Wiping Blades

Apologies if this question has been discussed already, but I couldn't find any reference using the search facility. The question is, why are we advised not to wipe our DE blades when cleaning them after a shave?

Because you could a) damage the cutting edge(s) or b) hurt yourself... ?
Absolutely, and to do the job properly (both sides of the blade), you'd forever be taking the blade out and putting it back. Bear in mind that a DE blade gets blunt through slicing whiskers, skin and whatnot. With a blade in a razor, wiping it on a towel, however carefully, is in effect simulating its use when shaving.

I think maybe you can prolong the life of a blade if you give it a bit of a wipe and keep it dry. So maybe this no-wiping advice is a ruse to get us to buy more blades.

Edit: I don't wipe my blades.

I think maybe you can prolong the life of a blade if you give it a bit of a wipe and keep it dry. So maybe this no-wiping advice is a ruse to get us to buy more blades.

Edit: I don't wipe my blades.
It shouldn't matter to a large degree with modern stainless steel blades unless you live somewhere with very challenging humidity.

I just give them a good rinse, without removing from the razor and leave the razor with blade still inside somewhere warm with good ventilation

Here's the response from a few years back on another forum by whom I believe was a Gillette employee and who eventually quit posting due to the amount of morons who only wanted to argue with him. :rolleyes:

I am sorry, but you do not have electron microscopes for eyeballs, so these cannot be factual claims. The naked eye is not reliable for detecting blade edge deterioration. It this were the case, you could just look at your blade edge and know it is blunted (or defective) before you apply it to your skin.

I did not start this thread to debate whether or not you should wipe your blades. I started it only to explain WHY the instruction "DO NOT WIPE BLADE" is printed on them. QC and laboratory testing over many years confirm why this is not good sense. If you feel the need to do it anyway, please enjoy wiping them on your towel, your hand, your glass rim or whatever else makes you feel better about shaving...

Personally I do not wipe the blade UNLESS there is a particular reason to. Sometimes I like to use a preshave oil in my routine, and this causes soap residue to stick to the blade. On these occasions, I do wipe the blade, albeit very carefully, and always pulling the leading sharp edge away so that it does not cut into the towel or denim I am wiping against.

To put things into context here, remember we are talking about something which in most instances costs less than 10 pence.

Aside from a few notable exceptions (vintage blades and Gillette Goal), I bin a blade after 3 uses and lose no sleep about it at all

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

I tried wiping it. In most cases i gotca blade full of towel threads. Or a cut finger. It's too complicated and not worth it.
Good rinse and pat dry maybe and that's it.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

37f50545a9c3c3c6694aa5584220c488.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom