Why do soldiers have to shave?

I think this is the correct section to post this thread in.

I recently served in the military and enjoyed shaving at the time because I was really enthusiastic about the art.

Now I still shave, but I also grow a full beard and I wonder why soldiers need to shave.

I tried to find information online but there is none! It's like no one questions this.

My assumption that I don't think it's even close to the truth is that all soldiers must look alike. But this sounds silly.

Another assumption I made is that they have to be disciplined, but does shaving require disciple? Not for me at least.

Keeping your rifle clean has a purpose. Keeping your face clean of hair on the other hand.. serves no purpose. No tactical advantage.

I wonder about this because there was a time that soldiers were not required to shave. I know that in the past we were not so advantaged when it came to shave gear, but don't tell me that the sole reason is that soldiers should shave because they can in comparison to another era.

Call me a conspiracy theorist but Shave products companies would lose a lot of money if soldiers were suddenly not required to shave anymore, so.. Well it's pretty easy to see where I'm going with this.

Sorry, for the long post. Does anyone know why soldiers have to shave daily?

I think this is the correct section to post this thread in.

I recently served in the military and enjoyed shaving at the time because I was really enthusiastic about the art.

Now I still shave, but I also grow a full beard and I wonder why soldiers need to shave.

I tried to find information online but there is none! It's like no one questions this.

My assumption that I don't think it's even close to the truth is that all soldiers must look alike. But this sounds silly.

Another assumption I made is that they have to be disciplined, but does shaving require disciple? Not for me at least.

Keeping your rifle clean has a purpose. Keeping your face clean of hair on the other hand.. serves no purpose. No tactical advantage.

I wonder about this because there was a time that soldiers were not required to shave. I know that in the past we were not so advantaged when it came to shave gear, but don't tell me that the sole reason is that soldiers should shave because they can in comparison to another era.

Call me a conspiracy theorist but Shave products companies would lose a lot of money if soldiers were suddenly not required to shave anymore, so.. Well it's pretty easy to see where I'm going with this.

Sorry, for the long post. Does anyone know why soldiers have to shave daily?

...If I recall correctly, and I may not, Alexander the Great ensured that his soldiers were clean shaven so that in battle there was less chance that opposing forces could grasp them by their beards. In modern armies I would hazard a guess that one of the reasons may be hygiene related. The problems armies can suffer from lice are well documented from the eastern front during World War II. I also suspect it has something to do with a countries armies being ambassadors and also something to do with looking fit and clean akin to the way a lions potential prey will demonstrate their physical fitness if a lion comes close. I have often read how european citizens noticed how clean shaven, fit and good looking US forces appeared to them; this was surly by design in the same way America's national carriers TWA / Pan Am in the sixties ensured that all their pilots and airline staff received world-class tailor made clothing, hair styling and make-up as they were seen as ambassadors for the USA. There may of course be a more simple reason and I am sure someone will be along soon...

Get a tight fit over the face when wearing a gas mask, maybe. Recognition is easier too.
I thought about the gas mask thing. But you will get shit just because you have a 5 o' clock shadow and that's really weird. They have a BBS fetish. I know from experience.

Same about the recognition issue. A 5 o' clock shadow won't cause any problems. A limit of facial hair I can understand. Looking like teenagers though.. :/

...If I recall correctly, and I may not, Alexander the Great ensured that his soldiers were clean shaven so that in battle there was less chance that opposing forces could grasp them by their beards. In modern armies I would hazard a guess that one of the reasons may be hygiene related. The problems armies can suffer from lice are well documented from the eastern front during World War II. I also suspect it has something to do with a countries armies being ambassadors and also something to do with looking fit and clean akin to the way a lions potential prey will demonstrate their physical fitness if a lion comes close. I have often read how european citizens noticed how clean shaven, fit and good looking US forces appeared to them; this was surly by design in the same way America's national carriers TWA / Pan Am in the sixties ensured that all their pilots and airline staff received world-class tailor made clothing, hair styling and make-up as they were seen as ambassadors for the USA. There may of course be a more simple reason and I am sure someone will be along soon...
Thank you for the answer. A less than 1 cm beard would not cause any problems in battle. Being clean-shaven was different back then of course, so it makes sense. And soldiers could be clean shaven today as they were in medieval times, without using blades but a cheap trimmer. That's why I feel like all armies in the world are investors of Gillette. I am half-kidding of course. lol

Looking sharp makes sense too. It may take more time to look sharp wearing a beard, while shaving it all off is faster.

@Missoni is correct. Alexander the Great ordered all his soldiers to cut their beards so the enemy could not grab them and cut their throats. Small price to pay; unless you're in the Dutch army where anything goes, and the odds of being in any real combat are slim to none. If you've ever been in a damp, humid, nasty jungle environment, you'll know that lice is the least of your problems. They may not be in your beard, but they're everywhere else.

I recall the gas mask hypothesis was discussed on QI once; indeed, supposedly soldiers in the British Army were required to have moustaches (though not bears) through much of the 19th century, and this lasted through the Second Boer War.

I spent 20 years in the RAF and the rules were quite straightforward. Tash - yes, beard no, unless you had a medical condition and a note from the medics or it was part of your religion. I am sure that the Army was the same. However the strange fellows that are the Navy had some rule that it was clean shaven or a full beard - tashes were a no no. I had a mate who wore a thick black beard and shaved his head, strange fellow but he was a Matelot!

the Gas mask thought makes sense but is rather rubbished by the Navy.

In my job as a pest control technician, (posh term for rat/ant/cockroach man!!), I am required to be clean shaven. It's even written into the terms of my contract of employment.
The reason is so that my half and full face masks seal thus keeping fumes from insecticides and dangerous gasses such as aluminium phosphide getting past.
It would seem that this "rule" has somewhat gone by the wayside recently with the popularity of growing beards, mostly among younger members of service staff.

With regards to soldiers having to be clean shaven, I reckon it's a control thing.
Armed forces need discipline, and daily ablutions are just another way to control those at the sharp end. (Just my opinion)

Queen's Regulations Ch 5, Part 9, Para 5.366

"Hair:
Males. The hair of the head is to be kept well cut and trimmed, except where authority has been granted otherwise on religious grounds; style and colour (if not natural) is not to be of an exaggerated nature. If a moustache is worn, it is to be trimmed and not below the line of the lower lip. Beards and whiskers are only to be worn with authority, which will usually be granted only on medical or religious grounds, or where tradition permits. The appearance of the beard and whiskers is to be neat and tidy."

Back
Top Bottom