Why buy a 2nd brush?

Good afternoon

I currently have an Edwin Jagger Medium Best Badger brush. I have no issues with it, that said I have nothing to compare it with. There seems to be a bazillion different brushes, different hairs, and varying prices.

I'm now bloody hooked on creams, soaps, splashes etc so I feel the next purchase would be a brush. What would you recommend & just as important why would it be better than the EJ I already have?

Thanks for all your help & advice.

Recently purchased razorock 400. Found the handle design useful for lathering up in a mug and being synthetic it dries easily and doesn't shed. Also my first brush before that was an el cheapo one found on ebay which was shedding far too much. Like yourself don't have much to compare with.

Good question. Don't feel like you need to. While I have dozens of razors I settled on my favorite Plisson brush and sold all the others.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Good question. Don't feel like you need to. While I have dozens of razors I settled on my favorite Plisson brush and sold all the others.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Thanks, I'm happy with my brush, but have nothing to compare it to. I might look into buying another razor once I've got a few more shaves done.

Just keep going with your current brush, it's a good one and I don't think you are missing out on a lot. If you follow the shaving forums there will be lots of suggestions of what to try and buy. If what you have works for you, stick with it and choose carefully if you want a different size or bristle etc. Some brushes, like boar are cheap to to buy, others like the best grades of badger bristle get expensive. What they add to your shave is totally subjective.

The only brush I have at the moment is the Omega pro 49 boar. It is now fully broken in and I do love it.
In saying that I have the urge to buy another and would be interested what others say in this thread with regards to another brush.
I am thinking of a synth primarily to find out for myself what all the fuss is about. Everyone seems to have positive opinions of them.
I would also love a silvertip, again to try...
and this is where the rabbit hole becomes deeper and deeper.. :)

I have 3 brushes, One my grandson uses when he has a "shave" (he is 5 and copies virtually everything I do), a Zenith which i use occasionally and a Vilfux that I use 90% of the time. I honestly thought I needed more than one brush, but it appears that I don't. Soaps and creams on the other hand......

You don't need a second brush, your grandpa managed with one. The threat of rot is something that's oft-repeated on forums, yet I have never seen anyone who claimed that it had actually happened to them. The closest I've ever heard was one chap who mentioned that his grandpa's brush was a bit past its best after 20 years of daily use. To be honest I'd not feel to hard done by if I had to replace a brush after two decades.

I'm not claiming that it can't happen, but I think the risk is over-stated.

My first brush was an Edwin Jagger badger and was excellent. I now have a second brush the Edwin Jagger silvertip synthetic fibre and it really beats the badger by a big margin. Much softer on the skin, lathers better, dries in a few hours. I went for the XL with 25mm knot.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

as @chris.hale stated your grandpa probably got by with one brush and when it looks like a dog with a skin condition you can replace it, if it was a cheap brush to begin with I would agree however if you have a top end silvertip that cost you a lot of your hard earned you may want to let it dry between shaves thus ensuring your prized brush will last as long as possible. There is no need to have more than one razor or one soap ether but you may like a little varity in your daily shave.

Good afternoon

I currently have an Edwin Jagger Medium Best Badger brush. I have no issues with it, that said I have nothing to compare it with. There seems to be a bazillion different brushes, different hairs, and varying prices.

I'm now bloody hooked on creams, soaps, splashes etc so I feel the next purchase would be a brush. What would you recommend & just as important why would it be better than the EJ I already have?

Thanks for all your help & advice.

...as others have wisely said the brush you have does a great job and probably gives you 90% - 95% in performance terms, of any other brush. But of course with this interest, like many others the desire to keep buying and chase the last few % in performance is strong especially in a consumerist society like ours. After several years of purchasing like a demon (brushes, soaps razors et.al) you will most likely settle on one or two products only. Of course you will ignore this and if you are reading a forum likely as not you will be chasing the next purchase...but any gains will probably be very marginal over the kit you currently have...

You don't have to buy several brushes. Wet shaving can be very expensive or incredibly economical. You can get great shaves from a supermarket brush and a 50p Palmolive shave stick. Some guys like variety and different face feels, there is a lot of difference in feel just in badger grades. Some people believe that certain brushes work better with different software, such as hard soaps and boar hair or 2 band badger, but personally I think it's down to technique and experience.

I would recommend that you eventually try a brush from different hair types, boar, badger and synthetic, can't attest to horse hair as I've never tried it, as it seems awkward and needs a lot of care. You don't need to rush out and buy every brush on the market, take your time and enjoy the journey.
No doubt the enablers will get you in the end!

Back
Top Bottom