Whipped Dog silvertip - a review

I decided that I no longer felt anything for my Muhle synthetics. Ethical issues aside, I find that drying time is the one major advantage that synthetics possess over 'natural' hair - and a well-stuffed v2 still takes long enough. I therefore found myself on the hunt for a new travel brush with the following requirements: small size, soft tips, sufficient backbone to lather creams but predominantly sticks and (above all) low cost. I didn't want to spend much more than £25 on a brush that could easily be lost.

Larry at Whipped Dog, over the other side of the pond, is further proof in our 'hobby' that low cost does not equate to low value. His business seems relatively spartan. An example of his approach is his (unique?) 'Sight Unseen' straights; a lucky dip of shave-ready straight razors that he's had reconditioned to be sold cheaply on to straight shaving novices (who'll likely ruin the edge of a more select razor within their first five attempts at stropping). Based in Texas, Larry responds to emails quickly and merrily. Within the day we'd agreed on a spec. Payment was through PayPal and a shipping notification with tracking was emailed through. From ordering to delivery, across the pond, the process took a week.

The brush I ordered was as follows. It's a 20mm silvertip knot set at a 47mm knot - drilled and sunk 18mm. There was a surcharge of $5 as Larry's handles offer a stock loft of 55mm (probably fine on his 30mm monster knots!). There was a choice of burgundy, black, butterscotch and a black-silver marbled effect resin handles - but this no doubt depends on what's in stock. Including shipping to the UK, the cost was $39 - £23-24 accounting for exchange rate movement. He completed the customs form in such a way as to make customs involvement unlikely.

I was at work until late on the day that the brush arrived but, due to the way it was packaged, it was able to squeeze through the letterbox without issue - thus no red card of 'abject disappointment'. I ought to have taken a couple of quick photos at this point but was instead quick to take it into the kitchen to have a better look at it and give the knot a good rinse with washing up liquid. There wasn't much badger funk to note and the knot seemed clean. Only one hair came loose at this point.

The marbled effect on the handle is quite nice. Part of me wishes that it hadn't continued through the resin to be exposed at the at the top of the handle around the knot but, in reality, it's small change. I had read reviews suggesting that the resin handle felt 'cheap'. Whilst it lacks the premium weight and feel of, say, a Simpson, I don't feel as though the tactility of the handle compares poorly with the likes of Kent, New Forest etc. (Edit: Whipped Dog offers custom 'Firehouse' pottery handles which presumably hold more cachet). A plus side is the size of the handle. Short handles can be uncomfortable/awkward to lather with - this is not one of them.

I have had two shaves so far with this brush. It has lost around 8 hairs in total; I won't worry about this for several shaves yet. I'm hopeful that this will not turn out to be a shedder since it's such a good little brush! From what I've read, and from my communications with him, I'm confident that Larry would make this right should it turn out to be a duff knot. The knot is nicely shaped - it's what I consider a bulb hybrid - and the 20/47 size seems spot on for face lathering. It is not cloud soft like a Thäter 3 band but there is no hint of scritch (nor scratch!). It isn't densely packed like a Shavemac but retains sufficient backbone, at this loft, for enough purchase to face lather with using both circular and paint stroke motions. Being of medium density, it releases lather happily; after three generous passes (of Speick) this morning there was barely any lather left in the knot. If you're accustomed to two band scrub you may be disappointed - but then, perhaps you oughtn't be looking at silvertips.

Of course, it's not in the same price bracket as Shavemacs and Thäters - making it a fallacy to seriously compare them. The closest fair comparison that I can think of is Fido's New Forest 2213 (a local supplier and lovely to deal with) or a custom from one of TGN's options. I haven't tried any of TGN's silvertips but I have owned a 2213. So far, I have a personal preference of the £23.43 Whipped Dog knot to the very commendable £37 2213 (although I would expect others to differ).

Essentially, I'm very happy at the moment with this brush for it's intended purpose. The brief was for a travel brush that met the aforementioned "small size, soft tips, sufficient backbone to lather creams but predominantly sticks and (above all) low cost' spec. For my money, I certainly have that.

I'll update the review with more thoughts and research after a few, and then several, more uses. I will also do what I can photo-wise with an iPad camera. Here's a fairly mediocre shot for the time being:

214efxe.jpg

Excellent, thorough review, Mr B.

I have had, for sometime, one of Larry's 24mm Silvertips awaiting my lazy bones to carve and set it in a wooden handle. I find that the knot seems gloriously soft, indeed, much more so than a TGN grade A Silvertip. I agree as to the density but I would think it just fine and at least it will not be a product eater. Maybe I'll get it handled this year?

Thanks again,
Graeme

Back
Top Bottom