Where to start SEing...

I've been considering giving SE a go, after DE has been quite good to me over the last 4 months or so.

Looking at the SE razors out there, they all seem to be around the £80-£100 mark, which is fine if I knew I was going to like it, but part of me would like to test out on something cheaper, or easier to get hold of.

Any advice for somewhere to look for something cheaper? I could sign up to the lending pool, but I'm a bit impatient to give it a go....

Keep an eye on BST on this forum for an Ever Ready 1912 or similar of shave quality. That should be way more inexpensive than any modern version, and if comes from one of our members they'll probably throw in a couple of blades as well. Or, just put up a ' wanted ' request in BST.

JohnnyO. O/

I spotted a RazoRock Black Hawk for sale not too long ago and received it yesterday. It's inexpensive (I paid £30 including about 15 Feather blades). Gave me a great shave yesterday but is exceptionally light which I'm aware isn't to everyone's tastes.

Buying new, you'd have to buy from America (ItalianBarber.com) but they're currently out of stock - with the exception of the satin silver version. I contacted them about a week ago and they said they're anticipating more stock within 4-6 weeks.

If you're happy with a silver razor, it's a cheap way to try out a SE. I specifically wanted the black! If you work it out and add VAT and Duty charge of ~£8 and postage at circa $15, it still works out at about £45, which is roughly half the price of the offerings available here.

Alternatively, check out Executive Shaving's offering of the Claymore Razor here. It retails for just short of £70 without postage, or you can pick up one which has slight manufacturing defects for £46.50, again sans P&P.

Whatever you plumb for, you're going to be able to recuperate most of the costs selling them on, especially if you bought second hand in the first place!

Hope this helps!

Edit: I've definitely focussed on modern SE razors in this post. The suggestions of injectors or Ever-ready's are more than valid!

I am going via the EverReady 1912 route. A member here has kindly helped me out for a good price, but if you are willing to take a punt on the 'Bay, you'll pick something up for well under £20. There's plenty available. And they are apparently very good SE razors.

As others have said Ever Ready or Gem razors are a good inexpensive start. You can get lucky on ebay, last week I scored on for £3 (£6 inc postage). You can easily pick one up for under £10 on ebay. The blades you can get from ConnaughtShaving or some sellers on ebay that sell them, make sure you buy shaving SE blades and not paint scraping ones!

Razorock Hawk is another good SE, takes different type of SE blades but is a good shave. I believe ShavingStation is due a delivery shortly. With the same blades you can get Shick Injectors, Pal Injectomatic and so on. All good shavers.

Agree that the Hawk is a great razor at a great price, I would say even more if you want to try a modern AC type blade SE. The down side is in fact its availability. By the way, the Black Hawk is a really amazing piece, great looking.

DSC_0178_zpsco2d2s8b.jpg
An Injector..PAL Injetomatic..Ye Canny Whack them..Modern or Not..:)

Billy

Morning all, I am new here.
I have been DE shaving for a while now. I just shaved with an English made 1912 I picked up for a couple of quid at an antique/ flea market. Bought the blades from Connaught. It's the closest shave I have ever had. After one shave I think I am a convert. I urge everybody to try one.

Back
Top Bottom