What strops do you all use/own?

As you may have noticed from my WTB adverts a new strop is potentially on the horizon for me. I'm thinking cordovan...

That aside, I'm interested to hear what strops you guys use and the relevant merits/drawbacks of each?

I currently own an SRDP Modular Paddle strop which is great. I really enjoy stropping on the "rough" leather prior to the premium leather and the canvas is ideal for refreshing my razors on pastes. I put a nick in the premium leather early on and it pisses me off (hence me looking for a replacement bed). Does anyone know if the souplex-77 beds from Invisible edge fit onto the SRDP paddle? (link here: https://www.theinvisibleedge.co.uk/...ather-replacement-bed-for-supex-77-strop.html)

Also own a "starter" type hanging strop which I bought from @Fergiebilly That one doesn't get as much use, but I still like it.

Anyway, looking forward to your replies!

My first strop was a 3" wide vegetable tanned job from "FIRST" made in the UK, cost 30£ and is still going strong and my second strop is a 2" top grain cowhide made by Illinois Razor Strop Co and it has a thick canvas strop on the back joined at the top with the clasp and I think that cost 70£ if I get another it will be one from OSP because they look good and I know James wouldn't sell rubbish. :)

Scrupleworks 2,5" Swedish Bridal/ brushed cotton, barber style strop

Scrupleworks 2,5" oil tanned horsehide/linen, barber style strop

(have owned Neil and Tony Miller strops also that I liked but my preference is with Torolf's strops, really like the feeling while stropping on these).

My own 3" English bridal leather strop. Unless you are a stropping god you are gonna nick your strop sooner or later and I wouldn't want to spend on the likes of a Kanayama and mark it plus they are too expensive for me. I'll stick to making my own, it isn't a dark art.

DSC_0391_zpsjnj9hg4a.jpg

DSC_0518_zpsnx2zpy1e.jpg

I Use 2 Strops..The One at the Top I Got from Pete on EBay..Its a Great Wee Strop for around 12 Notes with a Leather & Canvas Side..I Normally Use this Strop as My Work Horse Coming Off the Hone..o_O

My Tony Miller Strop is Cowhide on One Side & Latigo on the Other..This was an Expensive Early High End Tony Miller Strop & is No Longer Available..Its One Serious Heavy Duty & Heavy Weight Strop..:)

Billy

(have owned Neil and Tony Miller strops also that I liked but my preference is with Torolf's strops, really like the feeling while stropping on these).
+1 on the scrupleworks 2.5" oil tanned horsehide strop, almost a magnetic draw and great workmanship, mine is a good few years old and is still in great condition, I also like the look of westholme strops here in the uk, you can never have enough strops you know!!

Which one of the 2 do you like most Ron and what is the difference (is it the draw)?

Back
Top Bottom