What slant for first one?

I want to try a slant razor.

My funds are short, so I think something like RazoRock German 37 Slant Razor - Torsionshobel, Fine Superlight Slant Razor or Phoenix Bakelite OC.

What do you think?

Of course... Any other sugesstion is more than wellcome!

Last edited:
looking at the X3 myself. I bought the Fine slant and it does indeed shave very nicely, but it just doesn't feel right shaving with a plastic 'toy' razor. I much prefer something with a bit more heft.

Connaught are doing 'seconds' X3 heads with maybe some light scratches for £21 at the moment, but i think the maggards head looks quite interesting as well. i think mated with my rocnel lined handle they should be quite well balanced out.

Bugger it, it's payday so i might just get both!

looking at the X3 myself. I bought the Fine slant and it does indeed shave very nicely, but it just doesn't feel right shaving with a plastic 'toy' razor. I much prefer something with a bit more heft.

Connaught are doing 'seconds' X3 heads with maybe some light scratches for £21 at the moment, but i think the maggards head looks quite interesting as well. i think mated with my rocnel lined handle they should be quite well balanced out.

Bugger it, it's payday so i might just get both!
I got a seconds X3 from connaughts and it was perfect to my eye couldn't find a mark or scratch anywhere. I did end up getting the 90mm SE handle to match the Finnish and I'm very pleased.

Would definitely agree with that, as my 39c was my first slant and is still in my slant rotation, however the OP did mention funds being short and although the 39c is half the price of a Wunderbar, it is still twice the price of a X3 head.

£36 for the 39C and £26 for the X3 head-only. The Wunderbar is £100 plus shipping/customs and what not.

Not nit-picking, if perceived that way :)

Usually I recommend the Merkur 37c, or if you like heavy the 39c. Perfect slants that still rank among the best I've tried. If one of these is not outside your budget, don't hesitate and get one.
The PAA is a very nice slant however a lot of people can't deal with the lack of weight, which they then compensate with pressure and that means bad shaves. If you don't mind a razor that is light, and can manage to not use pressure with it, it is a great little razor. Lot cheaper than the vintage Fasan-razors it has copied as well.
If you've got some experience with DE-shaving I'd put the Maggardhead before the X3. The Maggard is a bit more aggressive, but is also delivers more fun shaving. The iKon is muted down a bit too much to my liking, but if you like your razors mild and hassle free it is not a bad choice.
The RR37 is cheap, but also not the best finished. You have to take care screwing the grip on the head because it won't fit immediately, finishing is not good everywhere. Otherwise it is a great shaving razor, but that is because it is basically a rip-off of the Merkur 37. Since we don't like ripping off go get the Merkur :)
The Fine just isn't. Nice variation on a vintage Globusmann (and a lot of other vendors as well), in that way it is related to the Razorock Stealth-series of slants, but it just didn't give me any warm fuzzy feelings. Pity, actually, of all the razors in this post it has the nicest packaging.
So yeah. Hope this helps.

Usually I recommend the Merkur 37c, or if you like heavy the 39c. Perfect slants that still rank among the best I've tried. If one of these is not outside your budget, don't hesitate and get one.
The PAA is a very nice slant however a lot of people can't deal with the lack of weight, which they then compensate with pressure and that means bad shaves. If you don't mind a razor that is light, and can manage to not use pressure with it, it is a great little razor. Lot cheaper than the vintage Fasan-razors it has copied as well.
If you've got some experience with DE-shaving I'd put the Maggardhead before the X3. The Maggard is a bit more aggressive, but is also delivers more fun shaving. The iKon is muted down a bit too much to my liking, but if you like your razors mild and hassle free it is not a bad choice.
The RR37 is cheap, but also not the best finished. You have to take care screwing the grip on the head because it won't fit immediately, finishing is not good everywhere. Otherwise it is a great shaving razor, but that is because it is basically a rip-off of the Merkur 37. Since we don't like ripping off go get the Merkur :)
The Fine just isn't. Nice variation on a vintage Globusmann (and a lot of other vendors as well), in that way it is related to the Razorock Stealth-series of slants, but it just didn't give me any warm fuzzy feelings. Pity, actually, of all the razors in this post it has the nicest packaging.
So yeah. Hope this helps.

Well, I just was having a look and ended up learning a lot! Thanks!

I somehow... managed to get myself three Fasan Slants... a Red Dot, two 'clear' ones.. but I still haven't tried them...

Back
Top Bottom