What does your other half think of your shaving hobby?

Merkurologist

LeJog 2022 Finisher
My wife is quite happy to have me clean shaven everyday. Before I started the hobby I spent over two years shaving once a week and she hated it. In fact, she got me my first razor Merkur 34G :)
Only once she made a comment that was well overdue.... "you hated spending £10 on blades and now you don't seem mind spending £100 on a razor", she meant "cartridges". My response was "those cartridges hurt my skin but the blades I use now are fine, besides they only cost £15 for 100 blades, over a year worth of shaving"

What's your experience? I'm curious ;)

Last edited:
She's happy I have gone from a once a week, 'I hate shaving' grizzly faced ruffian, to a bbs sporting dapper chap.

She also thinks it makes me look younger and more handsome.

But she doesn't understand the need to own so many products.

That is until she started wet shaving her legs. Now she is constantly complaining that the Razorock soap I gifted her is not slick enough and has now stolen my XPEC, which is more to her liking.

She was impressed with the softness of my new shavemac silvertip, and was thinking that she might want a badger brush next.

So whilst she doesn't understand the illness that is wet shaving acquisition disorder, she now gets the benefits.

Most of all, I think she is grateful that she will never have to buy anymore shaving gear, as she can just pinch my stuff. I have created a monster.

tYGr98N.jpg

My wife and I discuss relevant matters of the household economy, like presently buying a new Danish wood stove or plans for remodelling the kitchen. We don't discuss shaving gear or cosmetics. That said, I have actually saved money on switching to traditional wetshaving some ten years ago. With the absurd prices Gillette asks around here (30€ for 4 of the latest cartridges are not unheard of), I would have spent a whopping 3600€ on cartridges alone. Yes, I know they tell you that they will last a month. Not...
My budget for a small collection of 15 razors (mostly vintage DE, a few modern stainless steel models and two straights), three brushes and 20ish soaps comes nowhere close to that. I haven't had much RAD the last years, my last acquisition was the Rockwell. My daily driver is still the Weber ARC or DLC, I haven't found anything better yet (not the Standard, not any ATT or Wolfman - they all were sold off again). However I still buy more soaps than I need. My wife is quite happy with her Lady Gillette, long handled boar brush and her own creams, but is obviously welcome to try any of my gear should she ever fancy it. We're in this together, there is no point in jealously guarding a soap or razor from my best friend and lover, is it?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom