What body soap would be suitable for shaving?

The question is in the title.
I've read that some people use Dr Bronner Castile soap bars and I've seen some using Nablus or Aleppo soap too (Marseille soap is not good enough for shaving purpose, "surgras" (I would translate it by "overfat" in English) soaps are more recommended). Beside, I'm curious about all these Indian ayurvedic soaps that are totally new to me.

I know it's not much to do with your original question but you can pick some soaps up relatively cheap IMO and they last a while, why would you want to use a body soap?

The problem is that I shave about 3 times a week, so that it will take me ages to finish my few soaps/cream (according to my estimations likely 3 years if I don't buy anything in the meantime).

If I didn't understand your question wrong, you are asking which soaps can be used for bath, hand and shaving?
I can give you 2 examples; First one is Grandpa's Original Pine Tar soap, on the box it say that can be used for bath, face and shaving. I bought this soap and lathered using a boar brush and the lather wasn't good. I mean the lather from a normal shaving soap is much better.
Second one is the normal good old Imperial Leather soap; until few years ago here(Taunton/Somerset) there was an Old barber, sadly he passed couple of years ago. He used to shave the back of the neck with a straight razor and he always used lather from a normal Imperial Leather soap and it was very good. I tried this and the lather was acceptable, better then Grandpa's pine tar. I've heard that people used to use the normal Imp.Leather soap for shaving.
These are the only two soaps that I experienced, I am sure you know the Imperial Leather and they can be found and bought pretty much in every shop. If you are not a big fan of Pine Tar, I would say don't bother buying this soap.
Another thing can be used instead of a shaving cream or soap is a Hair conditioner, it provides really good protection, slicknes and glide.
I hope this helps.

Just as an experiment, I tried Acqua di Parma Colonia body soap for shaving. While it definitely was not as good as the shaving cream, it was adequate. I also currently use a dab of the AdP Colonia body cream, with a couple added sprays of the matching cologne, as an aftershave balm in my regular rotation (because my skin does not tolerate their aftershave/aftershave balm). Their products seem to be somewhat suited to multiple purposes.
yEs7oXg.jpg

Back
Top Bottom