Welsh Slate Tri-hone?

Does anyone have an experience with the Welsh Tri-hones sold on Ebay from the UK?

I think they are to be fitted into the progression after the 8k stage.

s-l1600.jpg

The Imperia La Roccia 12-15k is much better, and is more than capable of taking a straight from post bevel set to finish with a slurry progression using a slurry stone or DMT (diamond plate)

Ive used them Welsh slates and they're ok, but the ILR has fantastic feedback, I'd rate it as superb for the money, much better IMO

My set is 10,12,15 with the number engraved into each.The OP looks identical & as mentioned I have all three.The seller I bought them from states it's a rough approximation but not far off. So, that will do for me.They are excellent at keeping my straights extremely sharp so I can't complain;)

Last edited:
51836298e516a79a7cb3ae91fb9b5bfb.jpg

Just bought myself a set of the Welsh slates, as I was looking for a natural progression for honing my straights. Started with the coarser stone on the left and worked my way up with a Cadman Bengall that had had a bevel set on a king 1k/3k Combi stone. Got a very sharp edge, but took longer than my lapping film. Would say that the edge is certainly sharper than using 1 micron lapping film, but not quite as smooth. Felt like it was waiting for an excuse to bite me. Think I need to experiment more with slurries etc, but certainly a viable, cost effective alternative to some of the more expensive natural rocks.

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

b06c11c8343b38da51cd76f8a2dfa345.jpg

Used my system on a 4/8th half Hollow French number last night. This razor was already shave sharp but had just started needing a refresh. Started on the "Dragon's Tongue" ~8k stone with a medium slurry and then diluted down to light slurry then plain water. About 20 half strokes a side then 40 x strokes each time. Then went to the "Llyn Mellynylln" Purple ~12k stone. Just went with plain water on this. 60 half strokes a side, swapping the side over every 20 strokes, 60 x strokes and it was certainly shave ready at that point. I decided to break out the ~15k stone, or "Welsh Thuringian" as some call it. 40 half strokes per side and 40 x strokes. Was tree topping arm hair like mad and shaving leg hair without picking up any loose skin along the way.
Shave tested it and WOW! Did not feel sharp against my face but certainly left me 99% BBS after just a 2 pass shave. Normally I get that kind of smoothness on a 3 pass shave, but never a 2 pass!

I got the Dark Grey(8-10K) and Lynn Mellynylln purple (12K)
I and pretty much everyone knows that the natural stones don't have grits but these are references to make things to understand/follow easier.
After Naniwa 5K I used these two stones and the shave was OK. However I can get more comfortable shaves(equals to finer finish on the edge) with Thüringen, Naniwa 12K and Charnley Forest. But the other thing is these Welsh Slate Hones are more affordable than other Finishers so it is Pointless to Argue.
The other thing I can't understand, the Yellow Lake (Lynn Mellynyln). I have an old Yellow Lake stone which is in a Yellow cardboard sleeve and Jet Black in colour and very smooth. But from this seller the Yellow Lake is Purple??
As a conclusion, in my opinion, a straight razor enthusiast and/or someone looking for an affordable hones should have them. Although the results are acceptable, they can be improved. It is like travelling over seas in a First class seat and Economy Class. You reach your destination at the end but feel different.
I strongly suggest to all friends here that are in to razor honing, If you have time obviously, Please make sure you check your local antique and collectors shops and car-boot sales, I got those Thüringen razor hones for a £1 and lots of other Charnley forests for £1

Well, from my research there does appear to be some conjecture regarding names, so that's why I've used quotation marks on the names as that's what the seller uses. Either way, I've managed to get a great shave from them. They are certainly a viable budget option. I'm not going to say they're better than x y or z as these are the only naturals I've used so far. They're better than lapping film IMO, but lapping film also does a good job for a budget option.

Well, from my research there does appear to be some conjecture regarding names, so that's why I've used quotation marks on the names as that's what the seller uses. Either way, I've managed to get a great shave from them. They are certainly a viable budget option. I'm not going to say they're better than x y or z as these are the only naturals I've used so far. They're better than lapping film IMO, but lapping film also does a good job for a budget option.

Yes, exactly they do the Job and provide a good edge and give a good shave. Well done to the seller for offering Natural stones at a reasonable price. If you reside in the UK, it worth checking the antique shops and car-boot sales for Charnley Forest stones(that comes in different colours) which are very common, very slow cutters but great finishing stones.
I never used a lapping film.
After using these stones with slurry diluting gradually, at the end I finish the razors on these stones with Lather or Fairy Liquid or Glycerine that provides extra lubrication.

Yes, exactly they do the Job and provide a good edge and give a good shave. Well done to the seller for offering Natural stones at a reasonable price. If you reside in the UK, it worth checking the antique shops and car-boot sales for Charnley Forest stones(that comes in different colours) which are very common, very slow cutters but great finishing stones.
I never used a lapping film.
After using these stones with slurry diluting gradually, at the end I finish the razors on these stones with Lather or Fairy Liquid or Glycerine that provides extra lubrication.
DSC_0677_zpsuvcttfz5.jpg

I Just got this Escher Thuri Today in the Post..I Lapped it to 1000 Grit & Chamfered it..Its a Cracker..:)

Billy

DSC_0677_zpsuvcttfz5.jpg

I Just got this Escher Thuri Today in the Post..I Lapped it to 1000 Grit & Chamfered it..Its a Cracker..:)

Billy
Very nice, after using this stone, can you please make a comparison with your Black Arkansas stone? What is Escher? The Thuringens that I have are dark grey and comes in a hinged wooden box with instruction paper stuck in the lid part and the stone bonded to the bottom part of the box, actual stone is 5 inches long and an inch wide, it doesn't write Thüringen but I saw the same(or very similar) stone being sold as Thüringen water hone.

Very nice, after using this stone, can you please make a comparison with your Black Arkansas stone? What is Escher? The Thuringens that I have are dark grey and comes in a hinged wooden box with instruction paper stuck in the lid part and the stone bonded to the bottom part of the box, actual stone is 5 inches long and an inch wide, it doesn't write Thüringen but I saw the same(or very similar) stone being sold as Thüringen water hone.
Escher was a Brand Name Thuri..Top of the Range..The Most Expensive..This is a Yellow/Green One..The Most Expensive One Catalogued Back in the Day..Some Say..Maybe 12 K to 14 K or Slightly Higher Depending on the Individual Stone..The Arkie is a Different Animal with a 20 K Capacity No Problem..This One is a Very Light Greenish Grey with a Hint of Yellow Shadow through it..o_O

Billy

Back
Top Bottom