Vintage Razor Servicers/restorers in the UK

I don't need one at the moment but for future reference are there people in the UK who offer the service above i.e strip down etc that the Razor Emporium does in the US?I saw the threads mentioning a member here called Dr Terror but I don't think he is around now. Reason being I have jumped down a rabbit hole and bought a lovely, ready to Fatboy for a good price. Just want to know where to go should I **** it up.

The fatboy needs photos... hint hint.... we loves photos.

The nature of razors is that they are finicky to do right. and very few people can do them right. IN England DR. Terror was the number ONE man for help. However his health has ended any restoration work. And all we want from the Dr is for him to focus on getting better, or at least maintaining an acceptable level of living for himself.

If you really NEED the razor done correctly, and taken back to Gillette factory standard, the only option is Captain Murphy of The United States. The man is a miracle worker. Only person I have heard of who can assemble a Gillette fatboy or slim from randomly purchased parts.

I'm in a similar boat myself, just bought a fatboy and while I'm not 100% on it's condition I'd be looking to have it restored/replated if required.
A bit of plate wear is not going to stop you getting great shaves from your Fatboy, as long as the working bits are still working, shave away and enjoy , you can still go down the restoration path if you wish when you are ready. Happy shaving. :) and well done, great razors in my eyes.

A bit of plate wear is not going to stop you getting great shaves from your Fatboy, as long as the working bits are still working, shave away and enjoy , you can still go down the restoration path if you wish when you are ready. Happy shaving. :) and well done, great razors in my eyes.

Thanks, I was really happy when I won the auction. Not sure if it's fully working but for roughly £35, that can't be a bad price for a Fat Boy right?

That is a great price for a working Fatboy , as long as the doors open and close evenly and you check for even blad gap, the adjuster clicks when you move it and stays put and the bit at the bottom of the handle twists and locks it all down I see no problems.
Nice buy and well done, we would all love a mint one but a not so mint one will still shave the same :)

Yea mine was £45 from a nice man at ATG. I'd include pics but site saying the pics I took on my phone are too large to attach. It is perfect mechanically but being an OCD type would like to get it looking immaculate.

I paid £45 which seems like a very fair price compared with much tattier ones on ebay going for like $80 plus not including the expense and hassle of shipping from US. I have found this guy poo lover who might be able to help but it is a spare time business and he told me to contact him in New Year as adjustables take time and he is busy with work. £69.99 and he promises good as new. I can't find anyone else here in the UK.

@Bezoar yea Seen his work but I am interested in cosmetic work: the razor is mechanically spot on.

http://www.razorplating.co.uk/shop/4592206427

chris evat in the states razorplate.com

he uses the genuine Gillette standards for plating razors. Even does it at the correct original Gillette thickness for plating. only one I know of who does that.

And with adjustables, it is typically considered a better idea to actually take the razor apart because that allows the entire razor to have the old finish removed, and properly prepped for the new finish. And at the same time, with the fat boy the whole razor is designed to have one thickness of plateing on the insides for correct function. Shouldn't hurt anything, but id have the captain take it apart and send it to chris evat for replating.

@Bezoar but that would cost me a fooking fortune right :( I have s slight blade alignment problem on on side. Will ask advice with pics tomorrow. Today had too much to drink and going to bed!

@Bezoar but that would cost me a fooking fortune right :( I have s slight blade alignment problem on on side. Will ask advice with pics tomorrow. Today had too much to drink and going to bed!

Well it would NOT be cheap to do. But in the long run it would be less expensive then having someone screw it up because they have no idea of what they are doing. It comes down to the old adage:

Does a smart man buy day old sushi in a gas station?

@Bezoar Herewith pictures as requested. Picpaste links as photos too big to attach

http://picpaste.com/image-haPqlfTT.jpeg

http://picpaste.com/image-F0DkT84r.jpeg

http://picpaste.com/image-VUya8J34.jpeg

It's in reasonable condition, quarter turn lock is fine but looks like slight blade misalignment on one side. I hear on forums you can sort that yourself with a pair of needle tips or flat head screw driver.

I'm guessing sending a razor to US for the attention of two craftsmen with all the post would cost hundreds of dollars. I can't justify spending that at the mo. The razor was a bargain.

I got two razors done with Chris from Razorplate. A fat boy and a slim. The man is a genius . They are like two brand new razors and will hopefully outlast me. Had to wait a couple of months for his waiting list but I'm glad I did. The price to get both of them done was about €100 including shipping. The way I looked at it was a modern stainless razor would cost that much and now I have two excellent razors I'll have for life.

Attachments

• IMG_0020.JPG
    IMG_0020.JPG
    110.5 KB · Views: 23
Like the guy here he is not taking on new jobs at the moment. He does look good though.

Last edited:
taking into consideration the angle of the razor in the photos, the only issue I see is that the razor blade you have installed for the photo shoot, was well, wavy edged.

The safety bar is stamped metal sheet, so are the silo doors. small variations will happen, but I cannot see any bends at all in the bars. I have a razor that got fixed that had an actual bent safety bar. it was a Gillette milord.

contact chris and see what he says about his waiting list. and if you want I can get you captain murphys contact info. Chris and Cap might seem expensive, but they have taken countless numbers of rusted out Gillette razors and turned them back into 3-400 quid collectors items again.

Yea ok it will be a hard decision because both men's work looks good. Looking at old posts here though the British guy knows the mechanics of the razor too. Quite happy to post direct to Chris but to two guys...

I have a few months to muse anyway as both say contact at end of year.

Back
Top Bottom