Vintage Gillette 3 piece NEW Open Comb advice on technique (17/06/2017 18:30 update)

I love TTO gillettes however I'm thinking of adding a 3 piece to my collection, having never used one are there any differences in shave quality, I have also never tried a open tooth one either, I have tough thick stubble and normal skin
Regards

I love TTO gillettes however I'm thinking of adding a 3 piece to my collection, having never used one are there any differences in shave quality, I have also never tried a open tooth one either, I have tough thick stubble and normal skin
Regards

Like you I'm a big fan of the TTO Gillette's I also have a Old type (which is a open comb) I'm not personally a fan of OC though a lot of people prefer their efficiency. Can't beat a rocket for a daily driver IMO.

Take a punt on eBay you shouldn't have any problems getting your money back on a Old type or a New type.

Like you I'm a big fan of the TTO Gillette's I also have a Old type (which is a open comb) I'm not personally a fan of OC though a lot of people prefer their efficiency. Can't beat a rocket for a daily driver IMO.

Take a punt on eBay you shouldn't have any problems getting your money back on a Old type or a New type.
I have in fact ordered one should be here soon it is a gillette new, however as it's my first OC, I gather they arent too aggressive as it's down to blade exposure not weather it's open or closed comb etc.
My other question being I use now daily Gillette silver blue in my EJ 89 razor I like gillette 7 o'clock yellow though a little aggressive in my 89 and the 7 o'clock greens they are a little mild, should I stick with the silver blue when I first use it?

I have in fact ordered one should be here soon it is a gillette new, however as it's my first OC, I gather they arent too aggressive as it's down to blade exposure not weather it's open or closed comb etc.
My other question being I use now daily Gillette silver blue in my EJ 89 razor I like gillette 7 o'clock yellow though a little aggressive in my 89 and the 7 o'clock greens they are a little mild, should I stick with the silver blue when I first use it?

Seems to me blade choice is a very personal thing, I would say have a play around using different blade/razor combinations to see what works best for you.

Nothing to fear with the New OC. Whack any blade in it and go for it. I actually don't find it quite as aggressive as I'd like it to be, but for those days, I fire up the Fatip Picolo and head into town!

Received my NEW today!
It has some plate loss on handle etc but not too bad it looks to be a goldish color underneath would it of been gold originally and re plated or is this normal?
The handle is hollow is this normal?
Also I don't see many of this type around and not much information on the web are they considered rare?
One last question is this considered a Long or Short comb razor and what would the difference be?
depending on the shave and how I get on with it I may end up getting it re plated, PS this isn't my exact razor as in its not in my possession but this is the one I have.
Any help is highly appreciated.

1930-40 NEW in brown bakelite case England.JPG

It's made of brass, that's what you can see under the plate. They made both hollow and solid handles
It's a short comb, I've never tried a long comb, so can't comment.
Wonderful razor enjoy.

I get excellent shaves from Gillette Aluminium handled(ball end and sportsman), however I find the short and long open combs quite aggressive, short open comb being more aggressive.
I get reasonable shaves from my EJ 89 but i'm after a more aggressive shave for my coarse stubble so this may just be the ticket f not i'll have to keep buying ;)

Back
Top Bottom