Uncle Jon's Now in UK

I have never tried one, but he is evolving from what I have read/heard which the better soap makers do IMO. He is using tallow and unrefined shea butter now in some of his soaps which are labeled as such.

The same site I listed is selling the highly touted Tallow & Steel shave soap as well. I tried a sample of it and had a bitch of a time getting it to lather well. Also, the T&S scents are simply bizarre. o_O I am a little "gun shy" on some of these new artisan soaps as of late such as T&S as Declaration Grooming (formerly L&L Grooming) as neither would lather well for me and believe you me I tried. :oops:

Shavingtime have been selling them for a while now, maybe a year.
I'm really glad to say that I've not been tempted. ... it seems I have matured as a wet shaver ;) only 18 months ago I would have bought at least one soap to try lol.

My daughter is going to New York soon and she owes me two presents which she planned to fulfil in NY so she said "I'll be visiting Pasteur's Pharmacy again. .... what would you like me to buy this time?" I'm struggling to come up with ideas to suggest..... I'm cured hurray!!!! :)

Thanks for the heads up! I have to say I have never tried them..but heard good things. Do you know if they are tallow based? Many thanks in advance!

Looking at half a dozen from his US website, the ingredient list is: Water, Stearic Acid, Tallow, Castor Oil, Glycerin, Coconut Oil, Potassium Hydroxide, Shea Butter, Sodium Hydroxide, Fragrance.

Not one for me, then. Shame.

Shea butter isn't for us all Bogester.

Much thanks. Had I replied, the swear filter would have blown up and the forum itself combusted! Shea butter, for fuck's sake. Really?

I know food went through a bit of this with a sodding drizzle of olive oil on everything, including your Grandmother. As if human kind hadn't just thrived on saturated animal fat for the previous 2.5 million years, now we have to drizzle olive oil over.

How long have men been shaving with pretty simple soap? Even when we could afford it and could be bothered to shave with an actual shave soap, it was a pretty simple affair. After a while, they put a fragrance in. Light, naturally, lest you smell like a ponce.

Aside from my usual tirade against American soaps for being little more than the over-excited product of some mile-long factory in Nebraska with a random name generator at the containment end no more no less interested in the product other than it's managed to get to market, what I do like about Americans and their approach to soap is simplicity. They've got it! Soap is soap (thanks @wayne mattison) and the French nailed it yonks ago. Best copy that and keep it simple ... and add miles too much fragrance, but it wouldn't be American without excess somewhere.

If shea butter was excluded from that list of ingredients, it would read very nicely to me and be something I'd like to try out. I've got the inquisitive nature of a cat and the sneering distain to match, but I'd still have liked to try it.

So ... Dear Dr Jon - Strike off the shea butter, because no man needs a mushy, greasy, puffy face of a teenager.

The problem is, it sits in the upper epidermis giving only the apparency of well-fed skin, after which it causes issues. For folks that simply eat right, our skin is well conditioned already and in no way needing of this sort of thing. As it happens, I tend to err on the side of heavily alcoholic aftershaves to try to dry out after shaving. Thankfully, the classics stay as classics and vintage is still available.

I do hope it's a trend and as such, something that can be influenced. Really? Do we need it? Perhaps Dr Jon can give us a "straight-up" version of his soap, aimed at fellows who like to shave, splash and feel great. It'd save us from overpriced French soap, that's for certain.

WSP had a great soap which I thoroughly enjoyed as samples from Jim at Shave Dash, so much so I bought full sized tubs to find this insidious ingredient had crept in without mention in ingredients lists or pictures on any website, including WSP. I complained via a comment box and got weeks of spam as my reward.

Le Pere Lucien had a great soap. He now puts shea butter in and the brand is quite simply lost to me.

I've told @Fox at Wickham's that if does this I will get in my car, drive down there and punch him in the cock.

Right! Let the free market preside ...

Last edited:
Oh! So ... he doesn't actually make this soap? It is just a rebrand? I just don't get what is artisanal about scaled industrial production branded out across a dozen or more names.

The video really doesn't show anything. The lathering is pointless and inconclusive (other than it's foamy and needs cutting back with some work); anyone could lather any soap and get that, body soaps included.

Concluding that the inclusion of butter "doesn't hurt", well what's the point of it then? What does it bring? It's certainly not slickness as suggested, because soaps were slick before shea butter became fashionable.

Of course he makes his soap. Calm down or you're going to have a stroke. :rolleyes:

If that's so, great! He's a fellow well worth supporting.

Some of the things he said towards the end gave the distinct impression that these were formulated and made elsewhere ... and that he was trying it out for the first time, seeing what product his name was being put onto. I'm left wondering what those comments meant.

I wish he'd stuck to his guns and not capitulated to this insidious trend ...

Back
Top Bottom