Tuxedo or Not?

I knew you wanted to know this as bad as I did. ;)

I wonder why Maggard doesn't offer these in a completed brush? :confused:

Received my first 'black & white' 24mm knot from Maggards yesterday. On feel it is the same as the other synth knots they sell. All subjective of course but they feel soft with just the right amount of backbone for me, but then I have been using their dark tipped synth's for a while now. I'm planning on putting the 'tuxedo' into a Rubberset 400, when I find the time.

I ordered it on the looks, and my thinking that these knots probably all come from the same manufacturer.

Silver Fox, before you do read this thread and especially the last post:

http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=47793

I have never installed a new knot nor reknotted an old brush and plead ignorance on what depth to set to. :oops:

Thanks for that Bogeyman, I've already knotted a few brushes over the years, some re-knotted and some I made myself. Regards the knots we are talking about, I use a plastic tube to try out a knot before I set it, ie: a piece of sink drain tube with a screw clip around it. This way I can move the knot up and down until satisfied.

I no longer do this as I only use Maggard synth's now because I got cheesed with the differing qualities of badger I was getting. I now know what loft suits me. Funnily enough it is around 56mm so not far off that post you sent me to.

I did buy a Maggard brush with a synth knot, and found that the loft was set too high for me. Was really floppy when I was using it. At some point I will try to remove the knot and set it lower, or replace it.

A couple of pics of the 'jig' I used to find the loft of knots I used in the past.
ready-for-use.jpg jig.jpg Can't find the hose clip I used but you can see the idea. This one is for 24mm knot, the small wooded plug sits in the base to stop the tube collapsing. Got a elastic band around to help it grip, the knot has got a rubber band around the base as most knots have a broader glue ring just above the base plug. I would have the outside rubber band around the base, while I used a screw hose clip around the top by the knot. Another rubber band may work around the top if you wrap it tight enough, but I found the clip worked fine.

The example shown is using a 24mm badger finest, loft set at 51mm. Lord only knows where I got it from, as I said I only use synthetics now.

Again I can only think that all these 'Tuxedo' knots are made in the same factory in the far east. I also believe that this is only a fad and that when a better, differing coloured knot appears we will all be off chasing that. Saying that I have just ordered another couple of synth knots from Maggard.

Looking at the West Coast brush, the loft on that brush is IMO better than the made up Maggard brushes with the tan/black knots, the loft on mine is about 59mm or so. I bought one and it was too floppy for me, which again caused me to set my loft of the synth knots at 56mm. I would imagine this West Coast brush will have quite a bit of backbone.

Again I can only think that all these 'Tuxedo' knots are made in the same factory in the far east. I also believe that this is only a fad and that when a better, differing coloured knot appears we will all be off chasing that. Saying that I have just ordered another couple of synth knots from Maggard...

"And I can quit whenever I want!!"

A couple of pics of the 'jig' I used to find the loft of knots I used in the past.
View attachment 25548 View attachment 25551 Can't find the hose clip I used but you can see the idea. This one is for 24mm knot, the small wooded plug sits in the base to stop the tube collapsing. Got a elastic band around to help it grip, the knot has got a rubber band around the base as most knots have a broader glue ring just above the base plug. I would have the outside rubber band around the base, while I used a screw hose clip around the top by the knot. Another rubber band may work around the top if you wrap it tight enough, but I found the clip worked fine.

The example shown is using a 24mm badger finest, loft set at 51mm. Lord only knows where I got it from, as I said I only use synthetics now.
^^^ Excellent! Great job :)

I will have to wait until August unless I buy on Etsy. I don't think the West Coast was a genuine Tuxedo having seen the above video in another thread.

Back
Top Bottom