Top lip barbershop result

I am still having issues with getting the kind of smooth shave I get from a DE on my lip and chin because I am finding it impossible to do a safe against the grain shave. I am tending to therefore just do cheeks and a downward pass on my (sensitive) neck (which is all i do with a DE anyway) on my neck.

I want to use my straights more but I am stll finding a DE more comfortable and effective:any suggestions? I have read tutorials from the likes of whipped dog but they advocate across the grain only on lip and chin. That does not get close enough for me.

I only shave WTG in those areas and mine is smooth. As a warning, just the other day I had an ingrown hair right below my lower lip on the right side that festered and I had to extract it. It was a result of getting too carried away with a new blade. :oops:
The toughest place to get to on my face is right under my nose and admittedly I keep a modern single blade disposable handy for touch ups there a few times per week as it can cause great irritation going over that area repeatedly with a DE and trying to wedge it in.

I wouldn't fret over it to be frank.

I only shave WTG in those areas and mine is smooth. As a warning, just the other day I had an ingrown hair right below my lower lip on the right side that festered and I had to extract it. It was a result of getting too carried away with a new blade. :oops:
The toughest place to get to on my face is right under my nose and admittedly I keep a modern single blade disposable handy for touch ups there a few times per week as it can cause great irritation going over that area repeatedly with a DE and trying to wedge it in.

I wouldn't fret over it to be frank.
Honesty is the best policy...I use my gillette guard ocassionally during the week in the top lip area, i do however shave ATG with my DE too, but very lightly..When i shave i don't try to get a Glass smooth BBS finish i go for a good smooth shave with no irritation, why should i nick myself, just to say i can go "ATG" in the top lip area, most of the time i can use my DE ,but i still use my Gillette guard as a back up...It's not a shaving sin to still use disposible razors once in a while...Psst "don't tell anyone i do though.":p.Regards
PS: Get yourself a pack of these for a backup..i consider these one of the best SE disposable razors...wonderful for travelling & holidays. Enjoy.;)

Last edited:
I am still having issues with getting the kind of smooth shave I get from a DE on my lip and chin because I am finding it impossible to do a safe against the grain shave. I am tending to therefore just do cheeks and a downward pass on my (sensitive) neck (which is all i do with a DE anyway) on my neck.

I want to use my straights more but I am stll finding a DE more comfortable and effective:any suggestions? I have read tutorials from the likes of whipped dog but they advocate across the grain only on lip and chin. That does not get close enough for me.
Lite blade pressure, for that against the grain, or in fact use lite pressure, the whole way around.

Back
Top Bottom