Tomato Ketchup

Well it was inevitable this thread I suppose.
I'm not really much of a ketchup fan, but we went out for tea tonight and I chose Fish & Beer Battered Chips on purpose, because it was the one dish I religiously put ketchup on. In our house we always buy Heinz - or at least did, I sense a possible Tiptree epiphany coming.
Any thoughts or suggestions from ketchup officionadoes?

Heinz is too sickly sweet for me, I actually like Lidl's own which is more tangy tomato.
That's not too much of a surprise to me, I saw the results of a blind test survey where the Lidl one was considered more fruitier? Natural? The respondents implied it was just 'more.....' Than the others tested. Might have to have a go with the Tiptree tomorrow - for the sake of science obviously.

I'm more of a Tomato sauce guy and the best on the market and my favourite is Marks & Spencers it's the Dogs danglies. PS after I wrote this I googled the top 10 and low and behold I see Marks & Spencers is number 2.

Last edited:
That's not too much of a surprise to me, I saw the results of a blind test survey where the Lidl one was considered more fruitier? Natural? The respondents implied it was just 'more.....' Than the others tested. Might have to have a go with the Tiptree tomorrow - for the sake of science obviously.

It helps that Lidl's own is 50p per gallon and in a kid friendly bottle but yeah it's okay, Tiptree is for me and my designer burger. ;)

Not a ketchup lover, hp all the way. But all the kids put ketchup on fekin everything. Other half shopped at aldi a few weeks ago and came home with their own brand ketchup because the bottle was the same shape, she hadn't looked closely. Well we put it on the table minus labels(sneaky bastard), and the little fekers didnt notice. Now over the years weve bought store brand ones before, and without fail they know, even if put in different bottle. So aldi's half price passes the IMO most difficult test in the world, the fooling the brats test:p

Sounds an odd thing to say, but does Heinz automatically make you think tomatoes, or sugary sweet?

Are you conducting market research if so I want paying for my insight...

Heinz are a intensive food processor so no I'm not thinking tomato when I try their ketchup.

I understand your point though, it's probably Heinz's association with a broad range of food products we grew up with that makes me think of the later, plus it's undoubtedly true their products be it beans, tomato soup etc are inherently sweet because for the most part it's kid's food or given to kids.

Incidentally, a quick look at ingredients list...

Stokes - 200g toms + 19.6g sugar/100g ketchup
Tiptree -180g toms + 31g sugar
Heinz organic - 180g + 24g sugar
Heinz - 150g toms + 24g sugar

Tiptree has most sugar ffs! More good tomato should mean more sugar but still Stokes has considerably less. I give up.

Last edited:
Are you conducting market research if so I want paying for my insight...

Heinz are a intensive food processor so no I'm not thinking tomato when I try their ketchup.

I understand your point though, it's probably Heinz's association with a broad range of food products we grew up with that makes me think of the later, plus it's undoubtedly true their products be it beans, tomato soup etc are inherently sweet because for the most part it's kid's food or given to kids.

Incidentally, a quick look at ingredients list...

Stokes - 200g toms + 19.6g sugar/100g ketchup
Tiptree -180g toms + 31g sugar
Heinz organic - 180g + 24g sugar
Heinz - 150g toms + 24g sugar

Tiptree has most sugar ffs! More good tomato should mean more sugar but still Stokes has considerably less. I give up.
Nope, no clipboards or vested interests I'm afraid. The sugar levels are something of a surprise though. I think it's all a case of if you like it , eat it it - just don't look what's in it.

Back
Top Bottom