Thwarted!

A couple of years ago I bought a Thiers Izzard razor (new) from a well known retailer of straight razors. It was 'shave ready' allegedly. Any way, it wasn't as good as the few vintage razors I had and honed myself. So I thought I'd rehone it. At first it seemed better- but soon went off. I stuck it in a draw and forgot about it!
Since then I've added to my collection, and now I've retired to Cornwall I've got time to go through the collection, test, hone and refresh them as necessary- well someone's got to and it'd be rude not to! Anyway- they have all been done and some are better than I thought they could ever be, including some cheapo gold dollar type chinese razors. But there's one that defies all attempts to get razor sharp. You can guess which one it is!

Yesterday I lightly honed a 'Gold Monkey' razor which was distinctly average along with the razor that shall not be named, I used the same method and stones for each. This morning I used both, one on each side of my face and neck. The 'Monkey' was a revelation- it's now one of the best razors I have. The nameless one felt like a blunt hacksaw in comparison. Utterly useless- it left most of the stubble untouched.

So, do any of our honemeisters fancy a challenge? And trust me it will be a challenge as I'm sure it's possessed by a demon who prefers beards :eek::(

Meanwhile I'm going to store it separate to my other razors in case it contaminates them :D:D

Tony

I have NOT Honed a Gold Dollar Monkey Model..BUT..I Have Honed many a Gold Dollar & Although they are Made in the Same Factory Some of these Models are Better Finished then Others in Terms of Grinding & Finishing in Terms of the Factory Bevel..Some Gold Dollars are a Pleasure to Hone Like Maybe the Model 208 & the Likes of the Model 66 are NOT Pleasant to Hone in any Shape or Form..:)

Billy

Back
Top Bottom