Thinking about an adjustable

I'm considering buying myself an Adjustable for Xmas as I'm enjoying DE shaving so much :)

So far I've narrowed it down to the following and wondered which one people would recommend.

Digress HD B - £89
Pros - Beautiful to look at
Cons - I prefer a TTO, Price and build quality of head.

Gillette Slim Adjustable - £50-£60
Pros - TTO. A classic Gillette. Build quality
Cons - Finding a really clean one for the right price

Gillette Fatboy - £75 (ish)
Pros - TTO. Another classic Gillette. Build quality
Cons - Finding a really clean one for the right price

Rockwell Model T - £95
Pros - Build quality. Backup/Customer service. TTO
Cons - price nut I'd be willing to pay it

At the moment I'm leaning towards the Rockwell because despite it being the most expensive, I like the idea of supporting a company making quality modern adjustables, I also like the fact that it's made from Brass and no Zamac in it as far as I can tell and the satin chrome finish.

I am however open to comments about the others and why I should buy one of those instead or even others to consider (not the Futur though).

No idea of price yet but the Rocnel/Barbaros adjustable is coming out soon and it's all stainless. I'm hoping to pick one up depending on the price.
I have a fatboy, slim, black beauty and an xl brass digress. All great shavers in their own way. Personally I love the look and weight of the fat boy so it's probably my favourite. Finding one at a good price though can be tricky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it were me, I'd go for a razor with zero zamak in it.

I really like the Fatboy if going vintage.

If the Model T from Rockwell shaves anywhere near as the 6S, it would be my first choice if you want something you can adjust along the way. If not important, go for the 6S. It's really great.

Gillette super adjustable. The black beauty. Anything made before 1974 as that's when they replaced the all metal head to plastic. Cracking good razor. I love mine. A decent one should cost around 50-60 quid. Plenty of adjustment. From 1-9.

I prefer the slim to the fatboy,
Both great razors though, if you are prepared to wait, a mint one will turn up, worry less about the price, they are still cheap compared to some modern razors
With the vintage gillettes you are buying a piece of history that just happens to be a great razor,

But the good thing about a modern version is that you don't have to preserve that piece of history, for instance my recent aristocrat purchase is mint and I want to keep it that way, my futur is mint, but though I look after it, I won't get upset if the finish wears through use.

Having tried all the main variants Gillette produced. I would rate the slim and black beauty (long handled version) as being better all round shavers than a fatboy.

Set a sensible budget and start rooting around on EBay and Etsy. Also be open to buying from overseas. I got a very good black beauty from Italy for £25 after being patient for a few weeks

Having tried all the main variants Gillette produced. I would rate the slim and black beauty (long handled version) as being better all round shavers than a fatboy...

They are. I think that for most shavers the adjustable novelty wears off quickly & they gravitate to a non-adj. for a daily shaver. I know it did for me & many others I know.

I suspect that, like many others, I scarcely ever use but one setting on my various Gillette, Merkur and Digress adjustables.

The non-vintage ones get used fairly often, but, as @Fuzzyian points out, I too am reluctant to give the vintage models much, if any use, for fear of mucking them up. All but one are cased and near-mint, and I'd like to keep them that way.

They are. I think that for most shavers the adjustable novelty wears off quickly & they gravitate to a non-adj. for a daily shaver. I know it did for me & many others I know.

An adjustable is just like a non adjustable, with the ability to adjust to where you like it, once adusted it can be left there, it doesn't need to be discarded

imho, an adjustable is a good idea, if you don't like buying lots of razors in order to find the one for you,
If you just want a shave, then a non adjustable has always been there and cheap, even in the old days, like the Gillette slim twist,

It's probably much easier today finding the right razor than in the past, due to the Internet, and if everyone only had one razor, one soap, one brush and one aftershave, then SOTD would be less exiting

In Your price range best option is merkur futur. But if you consider rise your budget there is barbaros&rocnel all stainless steel and adjustable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The slim is a nice, effective razor which is on the less aggresive side of razors, even on high standard setting. It'll give you a comfortable, smooth shave with no drama, however as you point out nice ones at a sensible price aren't overcommon.

JohnnyO. o/

I have a Digress and it is my go-to Razor - the one I turn to when I absolutely have to know what I'm getting. It is intuitive, well build and has never let me down. Cannot recommend it highly enough. I also have Slim Adjustable, and this is good, but not as good as the Digress. YM, of course, MV!

I like the idea of supporting a company making quality modern adjustables

Well, you're not really supporting a company that's making quality razors, but you are supporting their next Kickstarter campaign. Their way of conducting business it's a bit odd. There are no risks involved in what they are doing, they make Kickstarter projects for all of their razors and they skip some customer>buyer obligations by doing so. Not a big fan.

I've only tried the Merkurs, Progress and Futur, so, my experience is not as vast as many other users. The lack of experience is due to the quality of both of these razors, as I did not felt the need of trying anything else after I bought them. They are just perfect for my face.

I can't tell if the difference for a Digress is justifiable. My Progress is great as it is.

Back
Top Bottom