There's a first time for everything!

I've become quite used to butchering DE blades for Wardonias etc., and halving them for SE's like the Rocnel and Focus. I don't expect them to do the job for themselves.

This morning, my customary three days worth with a Gillette Silver Blue blade in my Blackland Blackbird (original model) was up, so I opened the razor to chuck the blade.

I was a little surprised to find that the blade was split clean in half, and was only hanging on in the razor by the suds I wash out when it's unloaded. There are no signs of rust or other such, and the blade and razor performed faultlessly for all three days.

The Silver Blues are quite thin blades, but I cannot recall this ever happening to me before in half a century of shaving. Has anyone else had this, and, if so, with which blade(s)?

So the blade broke in half while you were shaving?! :eek:

Difficult to say precisely.

It was broken in half when I opened the razor, so it was either already broken,and I'd been shaving with it like that; or maybe it was in one piece until I unscrewed the cap, the pressure was released, and the blade broke as it returned from curved to flat.

It was quite firmly held in the opened razor by the stickiness of the soap, and was also clamped when the razor was closed, so I could well have been shaving with it broken without it performing any differently.

Difficult to say precisely.

It was broken in half when I opened the razor, so it was either already broken,and I'd been shaving with it like that; or maybe it was in one piece until I unscrewed the cap, the pressure was released, and the blade broke as it returned from curved to flat.

It was quite firmly held in the opened razor by the stickiness of the soap, and was also clamped when the razor was closed, so I could well have been shaving with it broken without it performing any differently.

Unbelievable! I also read a guy in Amazon, who had his EJ DE89 head break while shaving! (thread snapped while he was shaving). I must be more careful about such eventualities, you never know and the blade can do some serious damage.

Back
Top Bottom