The REAL Brut

Excellent video. The modern Splash On in a plastic bottle is an attenuated version & not as strong as the AS let alone the EdT. The current EdT bottle with the silver medallion is the same formula to my nose as that of 40 yrs. ago just as he says in the video. I wish he could have obtained the green glass bottle AS version sold in the US as IMO it's damn near as strong as the EdT. Great stuff nonetheless.

Brut Special Reserve (the one with medallion and chain) cologne in the glass bottle is, from what I've read, the original strength 'Brut 33' once made by Fabergé. I've never smelled the EdT or the original full strength Fabergé Brut.

It's definitely not the same in intensity or fragrance to what I remember the original Faberge Brut being in the mid 1960s. That one ( which came in a small, stubby bottle, with the slogan " After Shower, After Shave, After Everything ... Brut 33 ), was more soapy with similar sillage to todays version and eye watering projection. My own ( uninformed ) thought is that there may well have been ingredients used in those days which are no longer viable today either because of cost or health & safety regs.

JohnnyO. o/

You're correct of course B/man, the one I was describing from the sixties was the Faberge original. The 33 came later, we used to argue as to whether it was only 33% original, or could be smelt at 33 paces. It was when it became Brut 33 that the range expanded to include all the shampoos etc. My bad.

JohnnyO. o/.

In the USA you want the AS marked as such and NOT the pansified one that just says Splash On:

http://www.amazon.com/BRUT-After-Sh...&ie=UTF8&qid=1463177289&sr=1-10&keywords=brut

For the EdT it's marked Brut Special Reserve Classic Cologne in the USA with a glass bottle and a silver medallion. It's made in Mexico and is nuclear in strength, just like the vintage:

http://www.amazon.com/Brut-Classic-...&ie=UTF8&qid=1463177289&sr=1-44&keywords=brut

I have not tried the Euro AS version in the glass bottle, but through deductive reasoning via this video and my experience with current US AS they appear to be the same, i.e., great.

My old man wore Brut 33 in the 70s.
He used to splash it all over, like Henry Cooper in the advert
, before donning his Sunday best.

The projection of the original scent was truly eye watering.

The thing I don't/can't understand; why do they change the formula?? Yes I know the companies are taken over by another companies but it can't be that reason. Everyone would agree that Shulton made Old Spice and Faberge made Brut these would be the Original, smells better then their newer versions. Surely the producers must know that even they ignore the negative feedback.

The thing I don't/can't understand; why do they change the formula?? Yes I know the companies are taken over by another companies but it can't be that reason. Everyone would agree that Shulton made Old Spice and Faberge made Brut these would be the Original, smells better then their newer versions. Surely the producers must know that even they ignore the negative feedback.

IFRA in Europe killed the fragrance industry:

http://www.kafkaesqueblog.com/2014/07/07/part-ii-the-perfume-industry-eu-regulations/

Believe the B/man nailed it Sezer, combination of ingredients ( or strength of them ) being no longer permitted for use for skin application, cost and availability. It's affected ever so many of the geat scents of the past. I'm just grateful to still be able to get Brut in the glass bottle, a scent so hard ( as a member on here said ) it comes with its' own medallion ! Although, to my nose it is definitely less ' creamy ' than in days of yore. Nowadays when I splash it on it's about the only ' essence ' of man left about me.

JohnnyO. o/

A little off topic but in the same vein, I think the real 'sleeper' in the old Fabergé line was Cellini. Such a deep woodsy, spicy aromatic fragrance... Some say it is the closest thing reasonably available to the legendary 'unobtainium' Patou Pour Homme. They made it in AS & Cologne. If you were in a room with James Bond he would ask you what fragrance you were wearing as it's that damn good. :D

Back
Top Bottom