The Darwin Razor

Hi
We are going to make an exact replica of The Darwin Razor (under licence from the company). Engineered to perfection! We would like to borrow one for the dimensions, feel, weight etc and in exchange you can have one of the first samples. I'm assuming the Delux model was slighteley better. [attachment=7401][attachment=7401]Also, we will be looking for about 5 people to review and test the razor with different blades.

I'd hate to appear overly suspicious but why exactly would you be producing a replica of a razor that you don't own one of in the first place... surely you would need to own/have access to one and be familiar enough with it to believe it worthwhile to reproduce?

Two comments from me:
1: Not sure if we are both thinking about the same Darwin razor, but I'm really not a fan of the 'hexagonal'? shaped handle.
2: Surely if you have managed to secure rights to produce then Darwin would have a few examples to supply to you.

Exapno said:
I'd hate to appear overly suspicious but why exactly would you be producing a replica of a razor that you don't own one of in the first place... surely you would need to own/have access to one and be familiar enough with it to believe it worthwhile to reproduce?

Darwin dont have one! I've read a lot about the razor and think it's woth producing an initial batch, to see what users think.

I would suggest purchasing one on ebay. They are often expensive but not always. It would be a necessary investment for the business i would have thoughy.

Just checked out ebay for 'finished auctions'.
£675
£740
£122
£84
£250
Thats quite a spread of prices.
And I can see what tempted you to try making a copy. At £740 a pop I'd be tempted to make a couple.

Can I ask a couple of question, by quoting a couple of lines from your original post....

rakhara said:
We are going to make an exact replica of The Darwin Razor
and...
rakhara said:
Engineered to perfection!

Now I know nothing of these razors, but I am an engineer by trade. An exact replica to me looks like it should be a cast item. But when most people say buzz words like 'engineered to perfection' they often just mean... turned and machined. Which is then not going to be an exact replica.

So have you thought about production techniques yet? As if you try and stay true to the original it could end up costing as much as an original. And if you are 'just' going to machine a copy, well then they will never fetch anywhere near as much money and, dare I suggest it, would people want to buy a machined lookey-likey?

I'm also thinking of making an exact replica of a #66 aristocrat. If somebody would like to send me a mint one so that I can replicate it I promise I will send it back.........honest. :)

Tall_Paul said:
I'd be very interested in trying one.

Unfortunately I don't know if I could bring myself to let mine go though!

I can understand people not wishing just to send their razor to someone they dont know BUT I would be happy to go through security checks etc

balidey said:
Just checked out ebay for 'finished auctions'.
£675
£740
£122
£84
£250
Thats quite a spread of prices.
And I can see what tempted you to try making a copy. At £740 a pop I'd be tempted to make a couple.

Can I ask a couple of question, by quoting a couple of lines from your original post....

rakhara said:
We are going to make an exact replica of The Darwin Razor
and...
rakhara said:
Engineered to perfection!

Now I know nothing of these razors, but I am an engineer by trade. An exact replica to me looks like it should be a cast item. But when most people say buzz words like 'engineered to perfection' they often just mean... turned and machined. Which is then not going to be an exact replica.

So have you thought about production techniques yet? As if you try and stay true to the original it could end up costing as much as an original. And if you are 'just' going to machine a copy, well then they will never fetch anywhere near as much money and, dare I suggest it, would people want to buy a machined lookey-likey?

Casting would be very difficult. We are going to hand make it at an affordable price.

someone can loan you one on a deposit - say £1000 or whatever.
the deposit would be returned to you on return of the original razor and one of the copies

I'd like to know a bit more about you if I had a Darwin and was to let you have it to copy. You say we who exactly is we ? where are you based ? UK or overseas ? I don't own a Darwin myself to me it's not the best looking or practical razor with the hexagonal handle.
Brian

Hhmm- I can see where the OP is coming from. If he is really able to reproduce these old razors then good luck to him.

But we have to be aware of Copyright problems.

rakhara- if you have the means of producing razors, may I suggest you design and make a good modern DE like others have done- look forwards, not backwards!

atb

Tony

782sirbrian said:
I'd like to know a bit more about you if I had a Darwin and was to let you have it to copy. You say we who exactly is we ? where are you based ? UK or overseas ? I don't own a Darwin myself to me it's not the best looking or practical razor with the hexagonal handle.
Brian

I am based in Harrow, London and am working with a dedicated engineer

In addition to Balidey's response I would also add that if you are indeed going to be replicating these razors "under license" and completely legitimately, I would assume that whoever holds the patents, intellectual copyrights or whatever would be able to supply you with dxf files or similair. I would also assume that they would give you the complete spec of all materials, finishes, dxf's of moulds etc etc etc. As they will be "under license" I would also assume that you are paying them for the privilege of these details?
The said patent holders would not want you copying their products "under license" and making inferior/cheap/crap copies as it would tarnish their reputation and put a dent in their own sales and therefore profit, afterall who would want to take a chance on getting a cheap and nasty imitation?

I am also an engineer to trade and although I am not a tool maker I have a fair bit of knowledge on the subject and have been using machine tools and moulds for over 20 years. How exactly do you propose to hand make a DE head that is engineered to perfection? I have worked with some top class blokes over the years that have forgotten more than I know about this stuff, and not one of them could do what you propose "by hand"

Oh, couple of final questions if I may? Exactly what security checks are you willing to undertake and what qualifications and/or experience does your dedicated engineer" hold???

Sorry if I am dismissing you completely out of hand, and I also apologise if I appear mistrusting but to be honest I think you are talking shite. Borrow a 700 quid razor indeed, if you were truelly serious about this you would have already made the investment before coming on here and spouting crap.

Have a nice day :)

daz put it rather more bluntly than I would dare, but I can't say I disagree.

If I were you I would get 5m of s/s bar stock, chuck it in a lathe, bit of knurling, few grooves to make it look nice, thread one end. Then put them on here and ebay for £25 a handle. Many other people have done the same and they sell. Virtually no risk.

Where as a Darwin, like I said before, a modern take on it may not sell. Or it may sell, but for no profit.

Back
Top Bottom