The Butler Safety Razor

I left a cheeky offer for a Butler Safety Razor on ebay and it was accepted.
It looked quite unusual and from the seller's pictures I couldn't figure out how it is supposed to work. The razor is in really good condition, the blades not so, but two of the three look salvageable. The wedge blades are slightly thicker, wider (side to side) and narrower (front to back) than other wedge blades, but not by much.
Here is the assembled razor with one of the blades next to it:
Butler01.JPG

A close up of the head
Butler03.JPG

The head comes apart in two pieces
Butler04.JPG

Butler05.JPG

They slide together like this (bottom view)
Butler06.JPG

Butler07.JPG

When you start sliding them together there is enough space...
Butler08.JPG

... to insert one of the wedge blades:
Butler10.JPG

You continue to slide the two halves together until the blade is held firmly:
Butler11.JPG

Into the opening at the bottom...
Butler13.JPG

...you can now insert the handle and fix the two halves in place:
Butler14.JPG

Butler15.JPG

Although the Butler wedge blades are not the same size as others, using a modern GEM blade with my 3D printed blade adapters is possible:
Butler16.JPG

Unfortunately, due the different spine thickness of the blades, the shaving angle is still a bit wrong. Only with the head flat on the face does the blade barely cut. I need to either make a custom blade adapter for this razor or get a wedge blade or two honed.
Any information about this razor is greatly appreciated.

I left a cheeky offer for a Butler Safety Razor on ebay and it was accepted.
It looked quite unusual and from the seller's pictures I couldn't figure out how it is supposed to work. The razor is in really good condition, the blades not so, but two of the three look salvageable. The wedge blades are slightly thicker, wider (side to side) and narrower (front to back) than other wedge blades, but not by much.
Here is the assembled razor with one of the blades next to it:
Butler01.JPG

A close up of the head
Butler03.JPG

The head comes apart in two pieces
Butler04.JPG

Butler05.JPG

They slide together like this (bottom view)
Butler06.JPG

Butler07.JPG

When you start sliding them together there is enough space...
Butler08.JPG

... to insert one of the wedge blades:
Butler10.JPG

You continue to slide the two halves together until the blade is held firmly:
Butler11.JPG

Into the opening at the bottom...
Butler13.JPG

...you can now insert the handle and fix the two halves in place:
Butler14.JPG

Butler15.JPG

Although the Butler wedge blades are not the same size as others, using a modern GEM blade with my 3D printed blade adapters is possible:
Butler16.JPG

Unfortunately, due the different spine thickness of the blades, the shaving angle is still a bit wrong. Only with the head flat on the face does the blade barely cut. I need to either make a custom blade adapter for this razor or get a wedge blade or two honed.
Any information about this razor is greatly appreciated.
Nice find, I'm sure you will sort the blade problem. P.

I need to get one of those wedge razors, they look cool but I also like the significance in razor history as a step between straight razors and modern safety razors, fiddly maybe to hone and strop but that is part of the fun :)

Is there a special holder for honing/stropping these blades?
PQPshko.jpg

I Hone those Flat on the Hone with One Layer of Tape the Same as an SR..Those are Full Hollow Grinds..I have Done it with the Stropping Handle many Moons Ago & the Bevel is Way Out in My Books..The Stropping Handle is for Stropping..I have had a Number of Blades Sent to Me to Get Re Honed after Folks Honing Em with the Stropping Handle..:)

Moreover..Those Blades Come from the Factory Pre Bevel Set as Per the Blade Flat on the Hone..Same as an SR..:D

Billy

Last edited:
How many years did this type of razor exist before chopped straight razors were replaced with the first steps towards the modern mass produced razor blade as we know it?

Back
Top Bottom